30 cal ammo can

caseloadr

My friend came across a 30 cal ammo can with 2 full belts of 30cal round with tracers every 5 rounds . The box it self has a locking lever on the one end. I know diddly squat about ammo cans in general. Is the lever for mounting on a tripod on a jeep or truck? I had a picture of it but lost it on my phone . I figure someone here knows . Thanks

greasemonkey247

It's probably the M1A1 ammo can made for the 1917a1 machine gun mount. The can was developed at the end of WW2 and was mostly used in Korea I believe.

My friend came across a 30 cal ammo can with 2 full belts of 30cal round with tracers every 5 rounds . The box it self has a locking lever on the one end. I know diddly squat about ammo cans in general. Is the lever for mounting on a tripod on a jeep or truck? I had a picture of it but lost it on my phone . I figure someone here knows . Thanks

Look here to identify your flavor of ammo can -> http://browningmgs.com/AmmoCans/Steel.htm

The "locking lever" allows the can to firmly attach to an 1917A1 tripod cradle.

Thanks guys I learn a bit . I thought it was to lock it on to something just wasn't sure as to either a tripod or a vechicle mount. Thanks again