1219c2 Camillus

Tony V

I found this today and the only markings are U.S. over Camillus N.Y. on the blade. I have never seen this as I am a novice on this type of blade. Sorry about the scan but I do not own a camera to take better pictures. The leather scab is 7 pins. Maybe this is one of the late year copies that Greg was talking of. Any thoughts ?

Tony

post-4932-1229903063.jpg

This is a Knife, Combat, Sheathed Specification MIL-K-20277 as manufactured by the Camillus Cutlery Company between 1962 when they began supplying them on contract to the military until February 1974 when the N.Y. was dropped from the marking line. It is a general issue item to all services, although most well known in the Marines.

The scabbard appears black in the photo, if so then it dates from near the end of the date range shown above. Earlier production by Camillus was in what collectors call "oxblood" (not an official designation) which is a very dark brown with a trace of red. This often appears black under anything but bright light.

For an excellent article on this knife, see Frank Trzaska's article titled The Post War Combat Mark 2 in the January 2005 issue of Knife World.

Thank you gentleman for your coments, all information is always helpful to new collectors. I like others have lots to learn. So many blades.

Gary I will look up The article by Frank Trzaska, I have enjoyed reading his articles.

Tony

GB

Thank you, I am always impressed the way some of the pictures show up and I am looking into some kind of camera. Just think we all started small and slow.lol

Tony