Tiger stripe safari/cowboy hat? What is it?

longbow

Hi.

Any clue what this is?

I purchased this recently at an estate auction (cheap). Its not really what I would call a boonie hat. Its hard billed and stiff like a cowboy hat. Its probably some kind of repro and I was just going to use it for a fishing hat because its so nice quality and fits me perfect.

The tag on it says United Hatters and Millinery workers union and dates it to sometime between 1934-1983. The estate auction did have quite a few vintage Military items... If its real Tiger Stripe I am having a hard time placing it. I did find one photo on this site of Tiger Stripe camo with that same "green bean" spot and another on Ebay.

ZquCNQj.jpg

HuM1EJU.jpg

sqXqjlt.jpg

Thanks. Thats what I had figured. The two things that made me hesitant are that the hat seems custom made. I cant find any other camo hats made by this company

I also found the following pants listed at true tiger stripe pants on web site dedicated to tiger stripe collectors.

They are the same pattern as the hat.

Are they also civilian hunting camo?

post-226382-0-35460000-1554392955_thumb.jpg

vintageproductions

Yes, they are civilian also.

If there is a website claiming that these are Vietnam period, I would question everything they have posted.

Have you checked out the 2 really long threads here on the USMF about original tiger stripes? No other reference could even come close to what is posted there.

Thanks all for the info. Yes I have went through the tiger stripe threads some but they are very convoluted and huge.

It will be a great hat for use. Which is what I got it for anyway.

It may not be true tiger stripe but I still think there is something special or different about it. I have a worthpoint account that shows past sales on ebay back to 2006 and I can find no United Hatters tagged camo hat like it that has ever sold. Most of the hats with this tag seem custom made or higher quality than something that was mass produced.

vintageproductions

These were heavily sold in surplus shows, in this exact style in the late 1980's.

I recall our Kmart here sold hats in the Hunting department that were like this.I don't recall the manufacturer.Also had the duck hunter pattern camo safari hats.

Thanks all for the info. Yes I have went through the tiger stripe threads some but they are very convoluted and huge.

It will be a great hat for use. Which is what I got it for anyway.

It may not be true tiger stripe but I still think there is something special or different about it. I have a worthpoint account that shows past sales on ebay back to 2006 and I can find no United Hatters tagged camo hat like it that has ever sold. Most of the hats with this tag seem custom made or higher quality than something that was mass produced.

It’s is $20 hat

Enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk