New Dallas Wings & Photograph

skypilot6670

skypilot6670

Picked up these two new sets of BB&B Dallas Wings recently. The more faded pair came with the below photograph of a pilot. Its unidentified - I was wondering if anyone could help identify him. Thank goodness for Bob Schwartzs website and The Dallas Style Wing by CDR. Robert Pandis, my favorite resources when making a purchase, along with this forum. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

post-137056-0-09373100-1554047840.png

post-137056-0-19187700-1554047850.png

post-137056-0-10474500-1554047860.png

post-137056-0-94934300-1554047879.jpeg

Patrick is referring to New England Aviators 1914-1918.

It is a two volume set published in 1919 and 1920 respectively.

Invaluable resource and a must have for any WWI wing collector.

John

skypilot6670

Patrick and John thank you both very much. Just ordered it. This is one of the most enjoyable parts of collecting militaria ,the research and possibility of putting a history with the photo. The wings were with the photo and collar brass . Unfortunately it looks like a modern marriage as the patina is obviously very different. But all nice pieces in their own right Thank you very much Mike

...Unfortunately it looks like a modern marriage as the patina is obviously very different.

After 100 years what can be said about patina? Family members and the old veterans themselves often polished the insignia for wear to the Legion Hall or to march in the local Armistice/Veterans Day parades. Under the right (or maybe wrong) conditions, sterling silver can turn jet-black in two weeks. The wings themselves are obviously good. Unless the seller was asking for "more-than-the-sum-of-parts" premium for the assembly, I wouldn't worry too much about whether or not its a "marriage."

I especially like the wings that were slightly "vaulted" or "trenched" by the pilot. Really gives that particular badge great character. Not often seen!

Best of luck on finding your young pilot. With nearly 10,000 pilots having earned their wings before Nov 11, it can literally be like finding a needle in a haystack--if you don't have any other cues to work from.

Good luck and once again, nice wings!

skypilot6670

Patrick and John , got my copy of “New England Aviators 1914-1918 “. Blazed thru it hoping to match my image to a known aviator. But no luck. The book is a must have for a WW1 wing collector , and am glad I got it. I’am surprised at how many bullion wings are being worn. Thanks for the help and steering me to a great resource. Fraternally. Yours. Mike

Patrick and John thank you both very much. Just ordered it. This is one of the most enjoyable parts of collecting militaria ,the research and possibility of putting a history with the photo. The wings were with the photo and collar brass . Unfortunately it looks like a modern marriage as the patina is obviously very different. But all nice pieces in their own right Thank you very much Mike

The "Dallas" style wing would have been worn mostly by new stateside pilots so a search of the Ellington Field year book might prove helpful. The New England Aviators set is a wonderful reference however it is restricted to only those pilots that lived in the upper east coast area.

skypilot6670

The "Dallas" style wing would have been worn mostly by new stateside pilots so a search of the Ellington Field year book might prove helpful. The New England Aviators set is a wonderful reference however it is restricted to only those pilots that lived in the upper east coast area.

Terry found the Ellington 1918 year book on line at Rice University unfortunately its hard to see the images. I also found one on amazon and bought it. Stylistically some of the images match my image so Iam hopeful on finding my photo. Either way it will fit nicely in my WW 1 collection. Thank you very much for your help. Mike

• 2 weeks later...
skypilot6670

Got my Ellington 1918 yearbook. This is a excellent resource for early aviation but sadly my pilot was not in here. The search continues. Mikepost-137056-0-32984800-1555462755_thumb.jpeg