M2 Halazone and Frazer's solution WWII and Korean War

PaulS

Abbott laboratories made Halazone 100 ct. bottles with Halazone N.F. and Halazone N.N.R. markings. What is the difference? Is there a way to identify Lot numbers to a year or era? The Abbott lab. bottle I have in front of me says Halazone N.N.R. with a GO-1 serial number and a G38T293 LOT number.

Abbott had contracts with the military through at least the Korean War for water purification tabs and other medical supplies. My Korean War era Abbott laboratory water purification bottles are dated Sept. 1950 with lot numbers 609-1303-21 and 699-1282--21 both have stock number 55-T-1500 and are Chlorine not Halazone.

In addition I have seen a Abbott lab. Halazone N.F. bottle with Lot number 716-1266-22 and stock number 064221-0/F10. Is this a civilian consumption item?

Was Frazers solution used post WWII? and if it wasn't, what replaced it in Korean War M2 kits? By Vietnam Frazers was along with many other components replaced.

Internet searches have provided no help. Many thanks for any light on these questions.

• 1 year later...
usmc grunt

I've had the same questions regarding this matter, and, like you, I  could find no information on the net. It would stand to reason that the following items would have replaced the WWII components in the M-2 First AId Kit:

Dressing, First Aid, Stock No. 2-017-455 as a replacement for the WWII Dressing Stock No. 9208200
Abbot Labs Halazone Tablets dated Aug / Sept 1950 as a replacement for the 1940's Abbot Labs issue..
Iodine vial, Stock No. 1-235-110 as a replacement for the WWII issue Iodine Vial Stock No, 9111800.

I've found nothing on the upgrade for the M-2 from the 1940's to the 1950's.

2-017-435 Dressing (3).jpg

9121805 Halazone Tablets, WWII vs Korea 1950 (4).jpg

1-235-110 Halperin Co. Inc. (8).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Was the M2 jungle first aid kit actually used in Korea?   If they were was it just a few individuals or units using left over WW2 stock?   The WW2 M2 cases were reissued in the 1960's for Vietnam with updated contents.  After the WW2 dated cases ran out they started to remanufacture them.

To the best of my knowledge I have never seen a Fraziers solution with a KW stock number FYI.

Its my belief the wooden iodine vials were only used in the earliest M2 kits like 1943.  In 1944 on they were replaced with cardboard covered vials with a cardboard cap though there might have been some carry over.

The Korean war wooden iodine vials were used in the aeronautic first aid kits of that era.  I can't remember If I have seen any that are original to the 12 and 24 unit vehicle kits.  I imagine if you had a M2 kit in the Korean War that needed an iodine vial thats what would have been used.

Good point on the halazone one thing you might do is watch for folks who are selling the halazone bottles out of a case and ask them for the lot number on the bottle and the date of manufacture from the case.  Start a file of the data to get a rought idea.

Check with USMF member Dustin as he might have some info on the change over.

usmc grunt
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 11:59 AM, Survival said:

Was the M2 jungle first aid kit actually used in Korea?   If they were was it just a few individuals or units using left over WW2 stock?   

I've found quite a few photos of the M2 in use by Marines and Navy Corpsman in Korea. Would like to know what the components were. 1st photo 1950, second photo 1953, 3rd photo Corpsman with Unit One and M-2 Kit.

1 korean-war-marines-1950.JPG

1 korean-war-marines-1953-granger.jpg

USN Corpsman, M-2, M-3 First Aid Kits.jpg