WW2 Filipino American dog tag find at flea market

Tonomachi

I picked these dogs up at the flea market for 3 dollars last weekend. I looked up the name and found that Rufino N. Obiacoro enlisted on September 21, 1942 in San Francisco. He was born in the Philippines on July 7, 1904 and passed away in Riverside, California on November 1, 1988.

post-1389-0-12328000-1553801767_thumb.jpg

Rufino N Obiacoro's headstone reflects his rank during WW2 as PFC. I was wondering if anyone has a roster for either the 1st or 2nd Filipino Infantry Regiments? I found a roster for the Philippine's Scouts but he is not on this list. I did a little checking on the history of the 1st and 2nd Filipino Infantry Regiments. They were formed initially as the 1st Filipino Infantry Battalion at Camp San Luis Obispo, California, in April of 1942. Then In November 1942 at Salinas, California, they were enlarged to a regiment and became the 1st Filipino Infantry Regiment. Also formed nearby at Fort Ord, Calfiornia, in November of 1942 was the 2nd Filipino Infantry Regiment. This was a segregated regiment but I read where US citizens of Filipino descent who enlisted in the Amry during WW2 were not automatically sent to these regiments but had to volunteer to join either regiment. So I was wondering if PFC Rufino N. Obiacoro was a member of either regiment.

post-1389-0-65490800-1553802198_thumb.jpg

Based on your info, he would have been 38 years old when he enlisted. That would seem to be bordering too old for an infantry unit, although he might of had an admin or supply assignment.

Based on your info, he would have been 38 years old when he enlisted. That would seem to be bordering too old for an infantry unit, although he might of had an admin or supply assignment.

Many thanks for your insight.

If he was in the Phillipines at the start of the WWII it was all hands on deck. So even if you were 38 or older you may have been assigned to the Infantry to fight the Japanese. No mama no papa no Uncle Sam. We are the battling bastards of Bataan.

Look at the death march photos. More the half the prisoners were Filipinos and many were infantry.

If he was in the Phillipines at the start of the WWII it was all hands on deck. So even if you were 38 or older you may have been assigned to the Infantry to fight the Japanese. No mama no papa no Uncle Sam. We are the battling bastards of Bataan.

Look at the death march photos. More the half the prisoners were Filipinos and many were infantry.

Please see the above note that the individual enlisted in September 1942 in San Francisco, CA. This was well after the fall of the Phillipines.

Please see the above note that the individual enlisted in September 1942 in San Francisco, CA. This was well after the fall of the Phillipines.

Missed that part. My bad.