Help me ID this Gray Shoulder Board

David Minton

David Minton

Recently picked up this single gray shoulder board in an eBay lot, and it has me stumped. It is the size, shape, and construction of a WWII era board, but the corps device looks like Navy Nurse Corps. As far as my research has indicated, the gray NNC uniform didn't accommodate shoulder boards.

So, what is it. I thought since it didn't have black lace to indicate rank, it was either a sample, or was for some sort of OCS program. Any thoughts?

post-132988-0-58377600-1553701969_thumb.jpg

David Minton

For reference, from left to right:

US Public Health Service

???

Navy Nurse Corps

Navy Medical Corps

post-132988-0-76201900-1553702131_thumb.jpg

post-132988-0-59465100-1553702284_thumb.jpg

David Minton

Cadet nurse uniforms used soft red shoulder straps, and USPHS used Navy WAVES style uniforms with cuff braid on the gray seersucker uniform.

I am stumped as to what this is, other than it is a men's style shoulder board with a Navy Nurse Corps insignia. What is really odd is I can't think of any NNC item that has an embroidered device.

David Minton

The insignia is NNC. Possibly ( and I always hate when others say that ?), NNC Cadet?

Did the USN have some sort of OCS for nurses during WWII?

I think this is an example of what we sometimes see in rating badges: With the high wartime demand sometimes manufacturers jumped in with both feet and made "everything in the book," even stuff that wasn't really used. Unlike WAVES, Navy nurses did wear "gold" shoulder boards, so I'm betting that someone took the whole "catalog" of shoulder boards and made gray versions, not knowing that the nurse's gray uniform didn't use them.

David Minton

I think this is an example of what we sometimes see in rating badges: With the high wartime demand sometimes manufacturers jumped in with both feet and made "everything in the book," even stuff that wasn't really used. Unlike WAVES, Navy nurses did wear "gold" shoulder boards, so I'm betting that someone took the whole "catalog" of shoulder boards and made gray versions, not knowing that the nurse's gray uniform didn't use them.

Thank you for the suggestion. That was one of my possible conclusions. The NNC did use boards (see example in second post), and I have some rating badges in my collection, such as a Mineman that used the original Mine Assemblyman distinguishing mark as the specialty mark, rather than the real Mineman specialty mark.

There wasn't a grey jacket and skirt combination?

No. The WAVES had a gray-striped seersucker dress with a jacket, but the nurses just had the gray double-breasted shirtwaist dress. The 1944 authorizing order can be read here:

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/u/uniforms-usnavy/uniform-regulations0.html

In 1946, with grays on the way out, the seersucker uniform was authorized for nurses as well.

• 10 months later...

Thought i would update. I showed this to some experienced collectors and the thought is it is probably a manufacturer sample that none had ever seen before. It could actually be unique?