Insignia for the soldiers who manned the PX?

stratasfan

Am wondering if there was certain insignia or emblems or something for the soldiers (Army and Navy) who manned the PXs on bases and ships. Really interested in the WWI-WWII era, however, generally speaking I'd be interested in learning! PXs are just fascinating to me, and I just wondered if there is insignia for the guys who ran them (behind the counter). Thanks for any thoughts!

Elizabeth

Haven‘t seen or heard of any. I actually haven‘t heard of soldiers running PXs either. AAFES runs the PX since WWII. Emloyees are civilian. I assume it‘s always been civilian?

Haven‘t seen or heard of any. I actually haven‘t heard of soldiers running PXs either. AAFES runs the PX since WWII. Emloyees are civilian. I assume it‘s always been civilian?

Same here

I believe that ship run exchanges in WWII were run by navy storekeepers mates. They would have worn a crow with crossed keys below.

Allan

Am wondering if there was certain insignia or emblems or something for the soldiers (Army and Navy) who manned the PXs...

Nothing special or completely nothing. Here you have PX at Istres, France, 1945, USAAF PX.

post-75-0-16827100-1553636102_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-27378200-1553636118_thumb.jpg

This is also WWII USAAF PX at Papua New Guinea. As you can see sometimes it would be hard to wear something special to serve as a PX personnel ;)

post-75-0-32679300-1553636503_thumb.jpg

From 44 forward ships store would have been run by a Ships Serviceman who's specialty was represented by a key crossing a quil pen. They also ran the Laundry and Barbershop.

Thanks to all who commented! Very interesting! I wondered if QMC or something manned them. I know that civilians do them now (at least in the ones I've been in), but I've seen pics of soldiers manning them during WWII, so wondered if someone in particular ran them.

Thanks!