Dime Store Soldiers

Fratlanta

They are incredibly rare....1869 is one of the largest of the Hugar sets....love seeing them in photos even!....They pair nicely with these type of things at 54mm :)

That is an amazing collection. And impressive display.

Just standing them up like that would take me forever. I'd get about half of them up and accidentally knock them over.

Mikie

Back in the late 1960's, my Mom asked an older woman across the street to watch my sister and I while she ran an errand.

I am thinking the lady had to be in her 60's at least. She brought us into the living room and walked me over to a pile of metal pod foot soldiers. Having several Marx playsets, I had never seen anything like these every before.

I am guessing these must have belonged to her son or nephew. In any case there was every kind of figure you could image, as well odd ball items like a search light. I had a blast that afternoon.

Years later I learned what they were. I'm sorry I never asked if she wanted to sell them. Somehow, as well preserved as they were, they were most likely kept in the family.

Just this past weekend I saw quite a few of these little guys for sale.. probably 50 or so.

I remembered Eric posting the fellow with the prop.. I think the one I saw is the more common one..

They had buglers, machine gunners, fellow at a desk, soldier with pigeons, etc

Here are a couple of pics I took. The first one was a telegraph climber.

Some were in the $10 range and others a bit higher.

post-4361-0-88183400-1554175660.jpeg

post-4361-0-82871400-1554175673.jpeg

post-4361-0-81898400-1554175687_thumb.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Eric Queen

This one is lead for sure. 2.5 inches tall. I found it intriguing for some reason. I think it is a Japanese soldier but not 100% sure. Not sure what the white pouch under the gun is or even what he is doing with the blue piece of cloth. Weird.

This one is lead for sure. 2.5 inches tall. I found it intriguing for some reason. I think it is a Japanese soldier but not 100% sure. Not sure what the white pouch under the gun is or even what he is doing with the blue piece of cloth. Weird.

Just a wild guess, but that looks like a slung stylized submachine gun and what may be a semaphore flag.

Toy Soldier guys would know better. See https://forum.treefrogtreasures.com/

and / or https://www.toysoldiersunite.com/forums/