Dime Store Soldiers

Fratlanta

manayunkman

Eric,

One of your 2 falling paratroopers used to be worth something?

There are 2 figures in post 14 with green helmets that are from a short series by Manoil?

The bazooka guy has a loader who feeds the rocket and they had a more WW2 Deco look.

Back in the 80s I did many toy soldier shows on the East Coast and sold many things to O'Brian.

I knew one of the retired Grey Iron artists (Navy Corpsman on Iwo) who had some prototype figures.

A set of Chinese working on the railroad.

I just started back into Dime Stores and have about 20 figures.

I don't know what the used to sell for but they are still worth something depending on condition. Certainly not rare but harder to find (in high grade) than the other two paratroopers (which are everywhere)

para 1.jpg

blackhawkdown

I used to pick up a few now and then but then I went to a local auction that had a whole collection once owned by a WW2 Iwo Jima vet when he was a little boy. He was an only child so I guess his mother spoiled him a lot as a boy. I knew him personally and also have some of his Marine Corps items.

I paid 750 for everything in this showcase except a few German sawdust soldiers in one corner.

One item still had a Famous and Barr price tag. It has a ton of solders, tanks, trucks, dugouts, cannons, nurses, horses, you name it.

post-166668-0-79731300-1553868571_thumb.jpeg

This para with the MG tends to sell for more. In my own collection I would say I have only one (1) rare one (M-113), 4 or 5 that are "uncommon in higher grades" and the rest are all junk.

para 2.jpg

I used to pick up a few now and then but then I went to a local auction that had a whole collection once owned by a WW2 Iwo Jima vet when he was a little boy. He was an only child so I guess his mother spoiled him a lot as a boy. I knew him personally and also have some of his Marine Corps items.

I paid 750 for everything in this showcase except a few German sawdust soldiers in one corner.

One item still had a Famous and Barr price tag. It has a ton of solders, tanks, trucks, dugouts, cannons, nurses, horses, you name it.

That is a super collection. Cannot tell if there is anything scarce/rare there but most look like they were never played with. Really nice.

manayunkman

Thanks for the close ups Eric.

Beautiful figures.

I never found the falling MG figure but found more than one aviator with propeller.

Blackhawk you have the typewriter table and figure which would bring more money.

That's an awsome collection in great condition.

Some of those trench sections are worth money too.

Great thread.

manayunkman

The radio operator with the removable antenna is worth slightly more than the basic figure.

Blackhawk, the majority of your figures are basic with many slightly better than basic.

But your condition increases desire.

I never found the falling MG figure but found more than one aviator with propeller.

Be careful not to confuse the one I posted (M-113) with these (M-114)

barclay-manoil-toy-soldiers_1_9803b9ae8f7673548d8ca1496db51c37.jpg

Very nice collections of Dimestore soldiers. Any old Britains collectors here by chance? I'm thinking we should start a thread in the Homefront category and migrate from the "What's it worth" category.

Here are my examples of the scarce "folding rifles" Manoil figures. They don't seem like pieces that would hold up well to child's play and these are the only examples I've seen.

post-9214-0-41167000-1553882741_thumb.jpg

I've also run across a few by American Metal (known as Jones for a while I think) soldiers-- that used Doughboy castings and made them "enemies" by painting them gray.

post-9214-0-71660100-1553882870.jpg

And to show that condition is everything... here is a group of very rare super-tall Lincoln Logs doughboy figures. They are not complete and have been in a damp environment for a very long time. They may not be worth much in this condition, but I don't think there are more than a handful of each known in existence. Barclay figure shown for scale.

post-9214-0-30849100-1553882986_thumb.jpg

Those folding stocks are nice. They are scarce IMO but do come up from time to time. Have yet to find any in the condition I am looking for.

The Lincoln Logs are very cool. Cannot say I have ever seen one before.