Veterans extra Awards and Decorations

gijoeonthego

gijoeonthego

I am the family member who archives our family's military history. In 2016 I had the Army verify my Grandfather's paperwork I sent them and was awarded the Silver Star Medal 100 years later. They also found 4 more awards as well. This year in 2019 I had the Navy go thru my Dad's record and found another award. My point is, talk to family- Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, ask them to reach out to the National Archives and see what they are entitled to. If you are the Next Of Kin. Go for it. It is a great way to preserve your family's history. At times I am not the NOK, then I ask if I can take pictures of the awards to preserve a copy. Sometimes they surprise me and actually give the awards to me. This is my 45th year doing this. My cousin does family genealogy. We help each other out. Good Luck and Good Hunting!

As a Dutch member of this great forum I have some mixed feelings with this system of very late claiming the NOK medals.

Here in the Netherlands it happens also, but only for WW2 and later.

As a grandchild claiming some awards awarded to your grandpa or as a son/daughter doing the same I understand. But claiming them as a far nephew or far niece or claiming an award for the Civil war is something I don't grasp. The guy has passed away more than 80 to 100 years ago.

Well, just my 2 cents.

Regards

Herman

gijoeonthego

Hermanus...please understand that I ask the family members to make a request. I will help them on the process. All I ask if I can photograph them for my archives when they arrive. Some are grateful that they can a piece of their history or some turn around and don't care and give me the awards. It took me almost 45 years to find my grandfather's Purple Heart from a family member I never knew and very pleased to bestow it to me along with his other WWI items.

As a Dutch member of this great forum I have some mixed feelings with this system of very late claiming the NOK medals.

Here in the Netherlands it happens also, but only for WW2 and later.

As a grandchild claiming some awards awarded to your grandpa or as a son/daughter doing the same I understand. But claiming them as a far nephew or far niece or claiming an award for the Civil war is something I don't grasp. The guy has passed away more than 80 to 100 years ago.

Well, just my 2 cents.

Regards

Herman

I think you are misunderstanding the post. In the U.S., distant relatives such as nieces, nephews etc are not entitled to claim replacement military awards....only direct NOK. I think what the OP means is that NOK should reach out to other family members to help establish the entitlement and to check their own family entitlement.

gijoeonthego

Kadet is correct. I am encouraging military NOK families reach out to National Archives to see what their family member/s are entitled to. Like I said in previous statement, check into it because it sure surprised me.