Does the government engrave replacement issue medals ever?

stratasfan

My Grampa's medals are gone, and I requested replacement ones. They didn't come engraved, but I was wondering if they ever do? I would love to have them engraved, as he got a Good Conduct and a Commendation medal that should be engraved.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Most of the ones we have seen from WWII soldiers were engraved. Usually the Good Conduct and Bronze star (CIB conversion).

Maybe that is a cost saving thing from the Government now.

My Grampa's were replacements from the US Coast Guard. I was a little disappointed that not even one came engraved. My Gramma ordered the replacements, and well . . . I sort of figured at least the GCM would be engraved.

Only the Army engraves replacements

Bill

I wish Grampa had gone into the Army. -grin-

Seriously, the Army replacements are much nicer than the USCG. The USCG doesn't replace any badges or insignia or even all the devices for medals. Actually, it was pretty poorly done, I thought. I got (well, my Gramma did a vet request) three medals in the manufacturer package thrown into a too large bubblewrap envelope and the one device (there should have been multiples, according to their paper showing his awards) they sent (a star) was in a #10 envelope that was tossed in, and the form letter (not in an envelope saying they were honored to replace the medals (since it was the spouse requesting) was completely crushed beneath the medals. Ah, well . . .

MMcollector

I wish Grampa had gone into the Army. -grin-

Seriously, the Army replacements are much nicer than the USCG. The USCG doesn't replace any badges or insignia or even all the devices for medals. Actually, it was pretty poorly done, I thought. I got (well, my Gramma did a vet request) three medals in the manufacturer package thrown into a too large bubblewrap envelope and the one device (there should have been multiples, according to their paper showing his awards) they sent (a star) was in a #10 envelope that was tossed in, and the form letter (not in an envelope saying they were honored to replace the medals (since it was the spouse requesting) was completely crushed beneath the medals. Ah, well . . .

I would consider having them engraved locally at this point. You might be able to locate someone with some hand engraving skills? If not then definitely machine engraving would be easy on the good conduct medal.

I can't recall seeing any recently engraved sea service awards...Navy, USMC, or USCG. Lots of Army and Air Force though, but not the others (to be honest, I haven't sought them out either...) I can say that none of them engrave currently-awarded posthumous awards...that ceased during Vietnam.

As Clint said earlier, there are plenty of places that do engraving. I'd find someone who can do laser engraving so you can also select your font as well.

That's the best route, IMHO...

gijoeonthego

In 2016 I received my Grandfather's WWI Army Silver Star- engraved, Purple Heart- engraved, WWI VM with 5 battle clasps including number 6 France clasp (what?). The service took place in France why they issued France clasp. I also received his other awards as well. My take that be happy what the government can give you. It's nice to know that they can be replaced ONCE. Put them in a shadow box and honor him and your legacy. Thank you for his service and any other member of your family. SALUTE!

gijoeonthego

I forgot to mention. My Dad was in the Navy during the Korean War and I have his Good Conduct Medal and other awards was not engraved. He died in 2014. I believe that was an option on that kind of medal. Only posthumously awards are engraved (I think). Help me out collectors.