Gold Star Mothers/Widows Pilgrimage

Squidfd41

What makes this a Gold Star Pilgrimage flag versus another flag? What is on the stick that the flag is attached to? It looks like maybe it is a telescoping type device?

Nice flag but I have not seen one before. I think value would also depend on which pilgrimage. I think there have been several since the original one.

What makes this a Gold Star Pilgrimage flag versus another flag? What is on the stick that the flag is attached to? It looks like maybe it is a telescoping type device?

The black cardboard tube which is holding the flag's staff has a label on it which indicates it's a gift from the city of New York to the Pilgrim. You can barely see the label in the image, only half of it is visible. I have no idea about its true value. They are sometimes seen on eBay in various states of preservation (frequently poor) with extravagant claims by sellers about rarity. This one appears to be in much better shape than average. I bought one eight years ago for $5 because it was poorly described and I was the only bidder. I've also seen them offered for starting prices all over place well in excess of $5. It would be worth more as part of an attributable group to an identifiable mother/widow.

I have always been fond of Gold Star Mother Pilgrimage medals. I know that there is a dedicated sub-set of collectors who pay a premium for them. I do not think that collecting zeal extends to other Gold Star Mother related items, unless they are part of a larger group containing one of the medals.

One of these flags sold in January on eBay for $50.