94th Aero Squadron Pin

Hello,

I recently bought this 94th Aero Squadron "Hat in the Ring" lapel pin at an auction. Just wanted to know if anyone has a link to an original one. While researching this pin I found a link to quality reproductions.......which makes me think my pin may be a reproduction. http://www.1903.com/WWI-94th-Aero-Squadron-Hat-in-the-Ring-Sterling-Pin-p163.html

Mine is marked with the "800" . Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

post-172726-0-61424900-1553205082_thumb.jpg

post-172726-0-95964300-1553205094.jpg

post-172726-0-26840000-1553205173_thumb.jpg

Thanks....that's what I thought. I'd like to see an original one if anyone has photos.

I appreciate the help.

Airborne-Hunter

There is another version of the 94th Aero pin done in a very similar manner with screw posts in the 1980s that is a reproduction as well. It was cast if I remember correctly, but unmarked. I will have to see if I can find photos. I have never seen an original WW1 94th pin. Rickenbacker gave out WW2 versions to 94th Fighter Squadron pilots in North Africa in like 1942. I have seen two of these over the years and they have a horizontal locking pin and may be marked sterling. There are many fakes of this pin. Best ABN

Thanks ABN. I'd be interested in those photos if you happen to find them. I'd also like to see photos of the originals that Rickenbacker gave out during WW2, if anyone has those.

Thanks,

Dan

• 1 year later...
Basic Rifleman

So are there any "originals" to the WWI period? Or were the pins first created when distributed by Rickenbacker during WWII?

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 2:16 PM, Basic Rifleman said:

So are there any "originals" to the WWI period? Or were the pins first created when distributed by Rickenbacker during WWII?

Note the Hat in the Ring pin on his chest. There are WWI examples out there.

Allan

eddie.jpg

Basic Rifleman

That's great news! And thanks for taking the time to post this, Allan. I searched this site and others, and didn't really find a proven example of a WWI Hat in the Ring. I love that photos exist of men wearing them... Would you happen to know where I might find a known example of what a WWI period piece might look like (front and back).

Tom

Basic Rifleman

Could this be an original? I will try posting in the "Is this real?" section as well...

hat1.jpg

h1t2.jpg

hat3.jpg