Colt "US Property" 1903 32 Caliber Question.

Pudgy (V)

I recently purchased a Colt 32 "US Property" marked pistol in the 568XXX serial number range that is parkarized. The OSS guns fall in the 541103-569725 range which this pistol obviously does. Were any of the OSS pistols parkarized? The few I noticed were blued.

Thank-you in advance!!

Yes most of the OSS pistols I've seen have been parkerized. If you want to send me the full serial number and a p.m. I'll be glad to look it up in my books for you I've got books that cover serial numbers in the generals they were assigned to just in case it's a general officer's pistol. If the serial number is listed in the book with no name beside it that means it wasn't assigned to a general and there's a good chance that it was sent to the OSS, a historical letter from Colt would probably clue you in on that piece of it if it were shipped to the OSS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I had someone look into it being a GO pistol, and it isn't listed. I have already sent for a letter, but that takes 90-100 days. All the examples of OSS pistols I've seen on the net are blued, hence my question. That is good to know there are parkarized ones out there.

That is incorrect. The 1903's that are lettered to OSS are blued with tthe early features (front and rear sight)

Yes most of the OSS pistols I've seen have been parkerized. If you want to send me the full serial number and a p.m. I'll be glad to look it up in my books for you I've got books that cover serial numbers in the generals they were assigned to just in case it's a general officer's pistol. If the serial number is listed in the book with no name beside it that means it wasn't assigned to a general and there's a good chance that it was sent to the OSS, a historical letter from Colt would probably clue you in on that piece of it if it were shipped to the OSS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The change from blue to a phosphate finish (actually Parko-Lubrite) changed at 562000. I have seen 561998 and it is blue and 562015 is phosphate. Unlike many changes, there appears to be no overlap, i.e. Colt made the changes in finish, number of slide serrations and type of sights all at one time.

I would be interested in your source for the range of OSS shipped pistols. I think it is far too broad. I have over 1,100 M1903's in my database and no there is no OSS shipped gun above 562000.

I pulled that range from a post on the net. That range may have included the 100 pistols sent to the OSS in England. I also noticed there were 504 guns shipped to the War Department for military Intel. Would the 504 be considered OSS or CIA related guns? Those were late shipments, and more then likely included phosphate finishes. Do you have any pistols in your database around my serial number? I would be curious as to where they were shipped.

1903s were used by the OSS (and related Allied organizations), CIC, MIC, US Navy and were later issued to GOs. I have recorded lots of guns around your serial number but there is no consistency as to where they went. Most were shipped to Springfield Armory and the trail goes cold there unless they were later issued to GOs. But the records for GO pistols are not complete either. I'm sorry for the bad news, but there is probably no way to know where/when/how your specific gun went.

Colt is currently remaking these parkerized USProperty pistol too.

Actually, Colt just licensed the design. They are made by U.S. Armament Corp.

Thanks Kwill!!! These little guns are very interesting. I didn't know anything about them a week ago. Do you think SA will have any info?

Do you know what the standard holster would have been for it? I know about the GO and OSS holsters, but wanted a standard issued holster.

No, what is now SANHS does not have any further information on them. They were generally issued without holsters, at least to OSS or other intelligence personnel. The ones that have been repatriated from the ETO often have small holsters that were made, scrounged or cobbled together from European pocket pistols.