US Army Air Service Prop/Wing Laurel Wreath?

Travd3

Started researching this badge that I picked up years ago and misplaced during a move. Need opinions as to this badge and if anyone has seen a photo of the badge on a uniform. I can only find a few examples and none are actually being worn. The prop/wing is marked sterling, both the prop/wing and wreath have been tested and both come out sterling.

post-135677-0-30485000-1553172288.jpg

It’s fairl large, I am not at home so can’t measure. I can’t believe I didn’t put the measurements down. Will get back with them shortly.

Im thinking this is a fantasy piece, the center is sterling marked but the wreath itself is fairly sloppily attached. I highly doubt it is sterling either

The outside wreath looks like your genetic mass produced wreath. The prongs are cheaper made, and its hollow back while the center is filled.

No offense, but I think you’re way off on this. There is nothing cheap or mass produced in my opinion. Maybe the pics don’t convey this to you, but not to me.

Just my opinion but the way the pins are soldered on seems cheap to me. Look at other ones from the 40s/50s they are the exact same

Center piece also looks exactly like WW2 CAP collar insignia, you can also see where it looks like there was 2 post prior to being added to the wreath

Any examples proving or disproving the authenticity of the badge or some solid basic information would go a long way in helping me figure this out. Anyone else?

I suspect it is either something made by Bannerman or a bit of sweetheart/patriotic jewelry. These type of things were very popular during/after the war. Plus, a lot of companies had extra "stuff" laying around collecting dust, so why not try to repurpose something to sell?

It is very neat, thanks for sharing.