508th MP Bn M43 jacket

Indexred

I discovered this cut-down M43 jacket at the Show of Shows last month. It belonged to a member of the 508th Military Police Battalion and had German-made insignia. The eagle hand painted on the left breast pocket was inspired by the battalion colors. USMF member “sgtdorgano” pulled it out of the proverbial woodwork in Massachusetts. Not sure if he sold it. Has anybody ever seen another jacket like this one?

post-105245-0-47734500-1553124671_thumb.jpg

Many moons ago I had an M43 that was cut down and adorned with embroidery that had the soldiers name and the map of Korea and the places he had been. It was done in a very similar fashion as the Navy does Liberty cuffs and jumpers. It was a beautiful jacket. I wound up trading it to a deceased friend of mine for a couple of WWI Navy hat Tallies I was missing. Not sure what happened to the jacket at this point but the practice of tailoring Field Jackets was done but not that much from what I have seen.

Beautiful jacket BTW!

TH1

Thats a great piece.

Not uncommon to see items altered on Korea and Japan post war.Even in Germany.Seen hbt and khaki shirts cut down and made into Jackets etc.

Local vet had a reversible parka tailored into a jacket when he was in Korea post WW2.

He was in 31st Infantry/7th Infantry div.

post-342-0-08972000-1553131673.jpg

post-342-0-62083300-1553131704.jpg

Captainofthe7th

I once won a similar cut down M43 on ebay with an 11th Abn SSI...unfortunately it never arrived, but it was one of few M43 cut downs I have seen. They are out there and I think they look neat.

Rob

manayunkman

Somewhere on this forum I posted a picture of Mr Leonard 82nd AB wearing his cut down M42 Jacket in his backyard 1946 PA.

That sure was my jacket for a little while, it was a beauty and very well made/tailored..didnt sell at sos so ended up selling it to my buddy who is also a forum member here??...mike

In the rag houses found a couple over the years. One even had a jet painted on the back. Korean War era jet, F80 I think.

• 2 weeks later...

You see a lot of cool made up stuff during the Japan occupation. Still have one jump jacket made out of a sleeping bag cover. Most vets said the occupation of Japan was great duty until June of 50 when the North Koreans came over the line!

I discovered this cut-down M43 jacket at the Show of Shows last month. It belonged to a member of the 508th Military Police Battalion and had German-made insignia. The eagle hand painted on the left breast pocket was inspired by the battalion colors. USMF member “sgtdorgano” pulled it out of the proverbial woodwork in Massachusetts. Not sure if he sold it. Has anybody ever seen another jacket like this one?

I just saw your post, this is such a cool looking jacket. Now I want one like it...