WWII KA-BAR Purchase

bdome

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum but thought I'd post pics of what I think is a WWII Union Cutlery KA-BAR that I purchased over the weekend. I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on this knife and what it might sell for in your area. Thanks for any input!

Bruce

post-208588-0-17575400-1553028263_thumb.jpg

No idea about actual specifics as I'm just looking at blades. However . . . super cool find! One day, I hope to get one like this. I think they are super cool! Enjoy your fun find!

Your knife is the final KA-BAR - USMC 1219c2 variation made during WWII. It has the thin pinned pommel, small "USMC", and dark Parkerized blade finish. It has the "fat" handle but there are some with a thinner flat handle and different groove spacing. I attached a few pictures showing the different handle. Your knife has the correct sheath.

Nice knife!

post-165606-0-75024000-1553037027_thumb.jpg

mikedon (or anyone who might see this!) . . . since you know these knives ( ;) ), I have a question for you! What is the difference in them that makes the OP's knife have an almost black handle and the two you posted have very medium wood toned handles? I've been wondering that for a while now!

I believe handling them over time. The more they are handled or used the darker the leather handle gets. Sometimes a preservative of some type or oil gets put on the leather handle and it darkens even faster.

The handle on the KA-BAR in the picture has not been handled hardly any at all.

post-165606-0-88211000-1553038941_thumb.jpg

Oh . . . that is super interesting! Thanks ever so much! So, If you got a lighter handle . . . if you handled it a bunch, it would darken to that almost black look? How interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Oh . . . that is super interesting! Thanks ever so much! So, If you got a lighter handle . . . if you handled it a bunch, it would darken to that almost black look? How interesting! Thanks for sharing!

I believe so, especially if it was handled over many years with dirty oily hands.

Thank you for the feedback!

Any idea what these go for in your neck of the woods? I paid $175 for mine but have no idea how that compares.

Most likely your knife was made in 1944. The last one I bought in the same condition cost me $110, but that was 5 years ago. Your cost isn't out of line, but at the upper end, in my opinion.

Most likely your knife was made in 1944. The last one I bought in the same condition cost me $110, but that was 5 years ago. Your cost isn't out of line, but at the upper end, in my opinion.

Thank you for the feedback!

Have a couple early red spacer knives Im sure have seen salt water or been real wey in general.The handles are almost black in color from being wet or treated.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one just like yours that I bought on eBay for around $80 three years ago. Yours is in a bit better condition than mine, the sheath even more so. Nice piece!