A New USMC WWI Addition to my Collection Help Me with ssi Info

suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

I just added this to my collection. I've looked and read for hours, posts on the Forum and elsewhere for Marine ssi's worn in WWI and post WWI (Would like to say WWINerd's 2nd Div SSI posts with period photos is outstanding). Nevertheless I can not find a Green "V" identified. Any comments or info regarding my uniform is appreciated. Richard

post-15934-0-50069100-1553019305.jpgpost-15934-0-27920500-1553019323.jpgpost-15934-0-27883900-1553019354.jpgpost-15934-0-65499900-1553019378.jpg

Possibly a Supply unit of the 5th Brigade. The color green is associated with supply units in the 4th Brigade. Just a WAG! Semper Fi! Bobgee

Agree with Bob, supply company makes most sense. The MG unit of the 5th Brigade used a purple V, so appropriate colors replicating some of 4th brigade patterns would make sense. Nice uniform. Kevin

suwanneetrader

Thank you Appreciate your ideas as both of you are high on my list of USMC wealth of knowledge. Richard

suwanneetrader

Check out Eric Queens reference and the ID is there;it is the 11thRegt and it is Supply.

Still looking but no luck finding it. Richard

suwanneetrader

If this is 11th Regt Service of Supply Stationed at Camp Pontanezen, France for Rhineland Occupation, then how could owner of uniform qualify for a star on his Victory Medal? Richard

suwanneetrader

quote:" it is pinned under US Army patches. Last one at the bottom (2nd Division which also includes 5th Brigade)"

As per above I went to Ref Section but could not find this-- does anyone have a LINK? Also still would like opinion or clarification regarding was 11th in any battles and if not were any men transferred from other Regts who saw combat to the 11th Occupation Force? Richard

quote:" it is pinned under US Army patches. Last one at the bottom (2nd Division which also includes 5th Brigade)"

As per above I went to Ref Section but could not find this-- does anyone have a LINK? Also still would like opinion or clarification regarding was 11th in any battles and if not were any men transferred from other Regts who saw combat to the 11th Occupation Force? Richard

here you go Richard.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/232125-ww1-2nd-division-insignia-quick-recognition-guide/page-2

some info on the 5th Brigade -hope this helps. That's a great uniform and a nice patch. congrats

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/e_simmons.htm

https://www.worldwar1centennial.org/index.php/usmc-in-ww1/850-a-brief-history-of-u-s-marine-corps-action-in-europe-during-world-war-i.html

dave

If this is 11th Regt Service of Supply Stationed at Camp Pontanezen, France for Rhineland Occupation, then how could owner of uniform qualify for a star on his Victory Medal? Richard

5th Brigade Marines earned a "France" bar on their Victory medal hence the star on his ribbon. Bobgee

5th Brigade Marines earned a "France" bar on their Victory medal hence the star on his ribbon. Bobgee

You are correct that they earned a "France" bar....but that didn't get you a campaign star. At least not officially.

Service in a "Defensive Sector" would do it....or any other campaign clasp.

suwanneetrader

Thanks to all. As usual Forum members aren helpful and nice. :D.

Over the years maybe a collector added it or maybe the Vet had been in another unit as the tunic nor pants are named guess I'll never know.

Thanks again Richard