Squadron A, New York National Guard, Mexican Border Medal

dutchbarge

Hello,

I'm hoping one of the members can tell me whether Squadron A, NY Nat'l Guard, for service during the Mexican Punitive Campaign, was awarded the Mexican Border Service medal or the Mexican Service medal. In my reading of the organization's history it appears that they only patrolled the border without actually entering into Mexico to chase Villa. If my reading of the qualifying circumstance for award of the medal is correct this would have earned them the Mexican Border Service medal. But perhaps I've missed something that would indicate they earned the Mexican Service medal. All help greatly appreciated, Cheers, Bill

Hello,

I'm hoping one of the members can tell me whether Squadron A, NY Nat'l Guard, for service during the Mexican Punitive Campaign, was awarded the Mexican Border Service medal or the Mexican Service medal. In my reading of the organization's history it appears that they only patrolled the border without actually entering into Mexico to chase Villa. If my reading of the qualifying circumstance for award of the medal is correct this would have earned them the Mexican Border Service medal. But perhaps I've missed something that would indicate they earned the Mexican Service medal. All help greatly appreciated, Cheers, Bill

Hi Bill,

To the best of my knowledge, the Guard was only used to patrol the border and not enter into Mexico. They would have received the Mexican Border Service medal.

Squadron A, 1st NY Cavalry was entitled to the MBSM having served on the border at McAllen, TX, 14 Aug to 15 Dec 16. An interesting unit, it was based on Manhattan, became the 105th MG Bn during WW I.

MEMORIES! My first military unit, in 1954, was the 101st Armored Cavalry Regiment - NYNG - the old "Squadron A" at the Armory on Park Avenue in Manhattan. I was a 16 year old under-age enlistee and a high-school sophomore. It was great fun! Bobgee