A-11 helmet with odd laundry number

1canpara

I recently picked up this A-11 and found these small metal bands on the oxygen mask and the helmet. Upon closer inspection they have the 4 digits of the flyers laundry number stamped into them. They resemble a migration band that they attach to the legs of geese and other migratory birds.

Has anyone ever encountered something similar on AAF helmets or gear?

Rick

post-9167-0-28827400-1552972478.jpeg

post-9167-0-69558800-1552972485.jpeg

post-9167-0-29685000-1552972505.jpeg

post-9167-0-40391300-1552972520.jpeg

post-9167-0-69056300-1552972530.jpeg

...and heres the matching number written into the helmet lining...

post-9167-0-79300700-1552972538.jpeg

phantomfixer

They look new...is there any wear on the leather strap...would think after all these years the metal would have left a few marks in the leather..

Not something I have seen in the past...maybe an inventory tag for a museum or other collection...using the laundry mark as an identifier

I have a set that came with the same laundry coded tags on the flight helmet and the mask. He wrote his full ASN in the helmet so it was easy to confirm thats what they were there for, a quick way to make sure everyones gear didnt get mixed up.

Thanks guys, its good to know that there are others out there. When I bought the helmet and the mask I didnt think anything of these small metal bands until I took a closer look when I got it home. Makes for an interesting feature of the set in any case. I wonder if this was just an AAF practice or if other branches used these metal bands as well.

Rick

It might be interesting to collect the tag info (personnel assignment) and see if they correspond to a certain unit (8th AF,5th AF,etc) and what time period. May have been a localized practice at a unit level or it may be branch wide. I'll try and dig mine out.

phantomfixer

Wow...and now that you guys have kicked my brain around...I recall having a A14 converted to a quick don with the metal band...

I stand corrected