WW2 field phone

firstdefense1

firstdefense1

That's the cleanest one I've ever seen. Well done!

Have three of them, doesn't appear any have ever been used.

Super cool! thanks for sharing! I love field phones. Never actually seen one myself in person, though. What era is this one from?

firstdefense1

Super cool! thanks for sharing! I love field phones. Never actually seen one myself in person, though. What era is this one from?

WW2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like NOS. I have a super clean leather cased EE-8, but still clearly used. I’ve never seen one that looks like new.

• 8 months later...

Old post, but glad to see it. It looks new, I got two but they not as nice as yours, also see that your were in panama. I was at howards AFB. I still got some panama coins, I sent you a pm

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd add on to this old post. I grabbed 2 of these EE-8-B field phones recently. I see they were used from 1937 through Vietnam. The cases look like a waterproofed canvas and I was surprised to see the guts are screwed into/through the case. I'll have to read up on field phones as I don't know squat about them. I see they have a crank and a spot for batteries. It mentions D cells. Have D cells been around that long? Were these sets wired together? 

• 4 weeks later...
Jake Zenger

I'm new to collecting and am an active duty soldier in the signal corps so items looks these are naturally interesting to me. If you don't mind me asking, how much does a WW2 field phone normally cost? Thanks in advance. 

7 hours ago, Jake Zenger said:

I'm new to collecting and am an active duty soldier in the signal corps so items looks these are naturally interesting to me. If you don't mind me asking, how much does a WW2 field phone normally cost? Thanks in advance. 

Jake, welcome. A good condition EE-8 is commonly available for under $100. A really nice one will cost more and is more difficult to find. 

I’m also an active Signal Corps Soldier. I used to have a TA-312 field phone with a TA-944 DTMF adapter on my desk plugged in to the phone system so it was fully functional. Most posts are switching to VOIP or digital phone systems so the TA312 no longer works, but it was fun at the time. Everybody thought it was just for display, until it rang and I answered it. 

Jake Zenger

Haha that's hilarious! And very cool that you were able to get it to work. I haven't met too many other collectors that are still serving. Granted, I've only been collecting for about a year so I'm sure there are more out there.