Army Nursing Corps BOS

jmar

Hello All!

I hope you're doing well, winter is nearing it's end and believe me I'm glad to see this one go!

As some of you know, Medical Corps BOS has been one of a primary focus on my part. This post is basically a "feeler" to see if there is enough interest for me to spend the time doing detailed scans, obverse and reverse of these intriguing insignia. I'm starting with one of my favorites: ANC BOS.

This particular tray represents matched pairs, many different eras, makers, and styles. BB&B, AMCRAFT, Balfour are among the manufacturers. I also have a tray of singles as well as a good amount still on/in original cards/boxes. I can give detailed measurements for those interested.

Thank you for stopping by and viewing my thread.

Best wishes!

Joe

post-48324-0-93864800-1552853019_thumb.jpg

Joe,

You just made me drool all over my keyboard!! These are nice! There are some I have never seen.

Best wishes to you! Kat

Thank you all! Looks like I have my work cut out for me. I'll get to scanning and annotating. This is going to take some time so I ask for your patience. My plan is to gang up obverse and reverse in as high as resolution that the Forum allows. There are many variations in wing type, feathering, serpents, etc... Please remember if you need super high res I can provide to you, but I'll need an email address since sizes are (for good reason) limited here.

Thank you for taking the time to stop by!

My best to each of you.

Joe

Thank you all! Looks like I have my work cut out for me. I'll get to scanning and annotating. This is going to take some time so I ask for your patience. My plan is to gang up obverse and reverse in as high as resolution that the Forum allows. There are many variations in wing type, feathering, serpents, etc... Please remember if you need super high res I can provide to you, but I'll need an email address since sizes are (for good reason) limited here.

Thank you for taking the time to stop by!

My best to each of you.

Joe

Hello Joe, looking forward to it but please take your time. However, I feel another 'pinned thead' is in the making :).

Rene

Hi Joe,

Please add my encouragement to your project. Recently, I began to collect medical insignia and I am blown away by your group of ANC insignia!

Joe - Thanks for doing this! My wife is an Army Nurse and collects these as well. Any insight / information you can share would be greatly appreciated. Not to jump the line but would be interested in learning more about the USAEUR Caduceuses as well as the red Hospitalmen Cross (I hope I've got that right.) Thanks!!

You don't have to answer this, but I am curious if you have a personal connection that drives your effort to collect these?

You don't have to answer this, but I am curious if you have a personal connection that drives your effort to collect these?

Hello Gil,

A very good question. I have no personal connection with any of the Medical Corps BOS that I collect. A a professional graphic artist I think what captured my interest was the variation in design, not only during different eras, but even in the same era of issue. Wing style, feathering, snakes, staff; they all have subtle differences. An additional factor in collecting was storage space, you can amass a large collection without sacrificing a lot of space. Now well into my 5th decade of collecting one other factor was cost. A while back you could pick up beautiful examples at a very low cost, another plus for me..ha!

Adding fuel to the fire was Emerson's Encyclopedia of U.S Insignia, a fine book that IDed and gave a timeline to many of my pieces.

This leads me to a question for you as an Admin. My ANC BOS is only a part of my overall Medical Corps insignia collection. I posted this in Women's Services for lack of an overall direction. Would you suggest I do an overall thread combining all Medical BOS in a different section of the Forum or just do the ANC separate and do the same for other branches (Medical, Dental, Administration, Contract Surgeon, Sanitation, etc...)

Thank you for stopping by and your interest, best wishes,

Joe

Joe - Thanks for doing this! My wife is an Army Nurse and collects these as well. Any insight / information you can share would be greatly appreciated. Not to jump the line but would be interested in learning more about the USAEUR Caduceuses as well as the red Hospitalmen Cross (I hope I've got that right.) Thanks!!

I think it's awesome your wife is an Army Nurse who collects the insignia! I thank her for her service and hope to see some of her collection here sometime! I'll go through my notes and see if I can get you some answers about the insignia you mentioned.

Thanks again for stopping by!

Joe

Love it!!

What is the one with the bear on it?

Thank you! Not sure which one your referring to, could you give me an idea where it falls in the case?

Best wishes!

Joe

And another BIG thank you to all others who have stopped by with such kind and positive comments. I look forward to detailing this thread over the next several weeks.

My best to each of you!

Joe

"This leads me to a question for you as an Admin. My ANC BOS is only a part of my overall Medical Corps insignia collection. I posted this in Women's Services for lack of an overall direction. Would you suggest I do an overall thread combining all Medical BOS in a different section of the Forum or just do the ANC separate and do the same for other branches (Medical, Dental, Administration, Contract Surgeon, Sanitation, etc...)"

Either way is fine.

There a no set rules on this, but I think smaller and more focused threads might be better. Otherwise on a larger combined thread the comments will range all over the place on the different branches. That can happen on a smaller thread as well, but with a smaller thread you have more of a chance of keeping the discussion on one topic.

Plus it takes the burden off of you in trying to get all of it set up at once, and then trying to maintain it, respond to questions, etc.

manayunkman

It's the only one with a walking bear on it.

Above the disc and to the right of the white N in the bottom right quadrant.

"This leads me to a question for you as an Admin. My ANC BOS is only a part of my overall Medical Corps insignia collection. I posted this in Women's Services for lack of an overall direction. Would you suggest I do an overall thread combining all Medical BOS in a different section of the Forum or just do the ANC separate and do the same for other branches (Medical, Dental, Administration, Contract Surgeon, Sanitation, etc...)"

Either way is fine.

There a no set rules on this, but I think smaller and more focused threads might be better. Otherwise on a larger combined thread the comments will range all over the place on the different branches. That can happen on a smaller thread as well, but with a smaller thread you have more of a chance of keeping the discussion on one topic.

Plus it takes the burden off of you in trying to get all of it set up at once, and then trying to maintain it, respond to questions, etc.

Thank you much, you offer very good advice which I'll follow, making them separate posts.

Best wishes Gil,

Joe

It's the only one with a walking bear on it.

Above the disc and to the right of the white N in the bottom right quadrant.

Geeze I'm getting old, forgot ALL about that one. It has the letters "CS" "PT", which I'm assuming stands for "California State (hence the bear), Physical Therapist". This is one of those odd ball items that needs more concrete research, hopefully someone here might have that info. Again I'm assuming it is CA National Guard, or maybe not military at all.

Thanks for the coordinates, I don't think I'd ever have seen no matter how long I stared at the case.

Best wishes!

Joe

post-48324-0-74887500-1553291124_thumb.jpg