The Sheriff at Bu Dop – Special Forces Camp A-341

WAHOOMAN

I am honored to be the care taker of this grouping to a Special Forces (SF) soldier. It was the Distinguish Service Cross (DSC) that caught my attention when I acquired the grouping at an estate sale several years ago. Major Chester Garrett had his life cut short at age 35. I will not dwell much into his tragic death, but focus on his military service and moments of valor. My extensive research on his military service recently resulted in a book that I co-authored with two other writers. I also had the honor to work with other veterans and veteran organizations to gain recognition for Garrett (more on this later).

post-96084-0-49961400-1552823179.jpg

post-96084-0-45874800-1552823341.jpg

Garrett had a short military career full of accomplishments. From November 1966-February 1967, he earned Bronze Star with V/device, Army Commendation Medal with V/device, Silver Star, Soldier’s Medal and the DSC. These awards were earned in four months while assigned as the Detachment Commander of Special Forces Camp A-341, Bu Dop. Additional awards were earned in subsequent tours in Vietnam. He had a total of three tours in Vietnam. At the conclusion of the war he also had an assignment with the Joint Casualty Resolution Center (JCRC), Field Operations from February 12 – July 5, 1973. Some of the awards he earned throughout his career are as follows:

Distinguish Service Cross, Silver Star, Bronze Star (BS) with 4 OLC (this includes one BS with V/device), Soldier’s Medal, Distinguish Flying Cross, Air Medal with 6 OLC, Purple Heart with 2 OLC, Army Commendation Medal 2 OLC (2 of the Army Commendation Medals have V/devices). Some of his foreign awards include the Vietnamese Gallantry Cross with Gold Star, Vietnamese Gallantry Cross with Silver Star, Vietnamese Gallantry Cross w/Palm and the RVN Civic Action Unit Citation.

post-96084-0-11039900-1552823871.jpg

These Tiger Strips were found in the foot locker. I posted these on the Forum several years ago when I initially acquired this grouping. They are in mint condition, they were never worn. The pants are size US-M and the shirt is US-L.

post-96084-0-94220800-1552824374.jpg

post-96084-0-77910100-1552824417.jpg

Military leadership consistently commented or wrote about his leadership qualities. Garrett’s leadership qualities were noticed by well-known Special Forces officers. SF notables like Charles M. Simpson, Francis J. Kelly and Thomas M. Huddleston. The following are quotes from correspondence relating to Garrett:

….”every outfit that Garrett is in will be the best damn outfit”.

….”CPT Garrett’s forces made more contacts with VC elements and accounted for more VC casualties than the previous six months. These statistics were all the more impressive in that casualties to the friendly forces were minimal…I consider this officer the strongest combat leader under my command…”

…”his tremendous physical strength and indomitable courage has saved the lives of three Vietnamese soldiers whom he carried on his back under direct enemy fire to an area where they could be evacuated by helicopter…. This sometimes brash young officer will leave behind him in this command a string of successes that will be difficult to beat”.

“CPT Garrett is an outstanding combat infantry officer…He is a natural leader capable of inspiring extraordinary exertions from troops of foreign extractions who were previously known chiefly for their lack of aggressiveness and poor offensive patrolling…He is an officer of great potential value to the service and has fully demonstrated his worth in combat”.

…”Major Garrett is one of the most intense officers I have ever known. He approaches each task or situation with an intensity and stubbornness that is found in very few officers”.

“Major Garrett is the finest Major in the U.S. Army. He loves the Army and is probably in the finest physical condition of any officer in the U.S.A. This officer has General Officer potential”.

“The personal qualities, professionalism, and troop leadership ability you have displayed while a member of this command mark you as one of the outstanding combat arms officers in the Army”.

“When the shooting starts I want Chet Garrett on my right flank”

Garrett was born in the Virgin Islands on July 19, 1941. He grew up in Puerto Rico, where he excelled in all sports. He was a standout high school baseball player. Upon graduation from high school he signed a contract to play baseball for the Chicago Cubs organization. He played a short while in the Appalachian League in 1958. He was a member of the 1958 Pulaski Cubs, a subsidiary of the Chicago Cubs baseball organization. An injury cut short his baseball career. He subsequently enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1960.

He was an infantryman with the 101st Airborne Division. He was selected as the Division soldier of the month in April 1961. He eventually applied and was accepted to OCS and graduated in March 1963.

post-96084-0-78211500-1552824961.jpg

post-96084-0-92507000-1552824980.jpg

Upon successful completion of OCS, he returned to the 101st Airborne Division. He served as a Rifle Platoon Leader with the 187th Infantry. He completed the SF Officers course in April 1965. Garrett’s first overseas assignment was with the 8th Special Group Airborne, 1st Special Forces, in Ft. Gulick, Panama Canal Zone from December 1965 through June 1966.

His first combat tour in Vietnam was from August 1966 through August 1967. He started as an advisor in the Regional Forces/Popular Forces (RF/PF) Operations Detachment B-34 in the Phuoc Long Province. Garrett’s success with Detachment B-34 prompted his selection to command SF Camp A-341. When Garrett assumed command of SF Camp A-341, the unit was considered a mediocre unit. It took Garrett just five months to mold the unit to what was then considered one of the best all around “A” camps in Vietnam.

The following is an aerial photo of Bu Dop, SF Camp A-341 taken in December 1966.

post-96084-0-59590700-1552826010.jpg

A minor administrative note- the award is called the Distinguished Service Cross. Same for the Distinguished Flying Cross. Maybe nit picking, but more accurately reflect his awards.

Several bring backs from Vietnam. The bring backs in the grouping were referenced in a draft patrol report. I was able to find the final patrol report on a government web site. The date on this draft report should have been January 1967.

post-96084-0-39793400-1552826781.jpg

post-96084-0-95182500-1552826823.jpg

Named Australian SAS Beret. A Forum member was able to identify the former Australian veteran as Francis "Frank" Bell. He survived the war.

post-96084-0-13339400-1552828207.jpg

post-96084-0-27531800-1552828250.jpg

SF Camp A-341 was the northernmost Camp in the Phouc Long Province located approximately four kilometers from the Cambodian border and approximately 90 kilometers north of Saigon. In reviewing the documents in the grouping it was evident that Garrett was very successful. This even prompted General Westmoreland to visit SF Camp A-341 in March 1967. From left to right General Westmoreland, Lt Hau and CPT Garrett. In my research I found that there was a Vietnamese soldier by the name of Hau operating from SF Camp A-341 that was KIA in 1967. It is very likely the person KIA is the same person pictured with Garrett and Westmoreland.

post-96084-0-39007900-1552828831.jpg