M1926 tunic 2nd-6th Inf. Div. questions

kaszanka

Hello !

Wanted to show my ebay pickup from a few days ago that is very interesting and also raising lot of questions.

when bidding on auction I assumed it maybe a a put together item, when I asked seller about its provenance he said he had it for some time and picked it up at estate sale.. so that took me nowhere.

I received uniform with breeches and belt today and it looks much better in person, collar discs, 6th Inf patch all look to be there for a longer time, cant say about ribbons or marksman badge but marksman badge is nicely worn at the back where the uniform button is.

now the confusing stuff:

6th artillery (as visible on French ww1 Croix de Guerre Fourragere) wasnt a part of 6th infantry

6th infantry was recalled to service in 1939 so this WW1 and Mexican service vet would have to be in service for over 20 years - I guess possible for a NCO...

discs are more in ww2 configuration - there is also laundry number ww2 style

first ribbon bar is it certificate of merit medal ??

... when I was playing further with the jacket I flipped it inside out and spotted a 2nd infantry patch traces - it was machine applied and was there for longer time !

So would it be possible that This NCO served with 6th artillery Reg. during WW1 period where he received his French Croix de Guerre, then after war assigned to 2nd infantry where he got this jacket after 1933, and then was transferred to 6th infantry artillery when division was beeing recalled ??

I am open to any opinions

post-111995-0-18988200-1552697495_thumb.jpg

post-111995-0-43348500-1552697507_thumb.jpg

post-111995-0-65295400-1552697518_thumb.jpg

The 6th FA was part of the 1st Division in the Great War, and indeed was awarded the Fourragere, if this sarge was in that unit, and stayed in the army, he can wear it as a permanent decoration no matter what unit he subsequently is assigned to later. As to the two patches, sure that's on possibility, he served in the two divisions, and even before 1939, as though the 6th Div was Inactive, it still had elements active, confusing right.

Three examples of the 6th Div in the 1930s.

Co. B, 17th Inf., 6th Division, at Ft. Crook, Nebr., ca. 1931,17th Inf assigned to 6th Div, 1927 to 1933.

post-1963-1313076369.jpg

This soldier's unit has been identified as 2nd Infantry ( DI approved July 17, 1936). Second Infantry was assigned to 12th Infantry Brigade, 6th Division, from March 24, 1923, until October 16, 1939, with 1st Battalion at Ft. Sheridan, Ill., 2nd Battalion at Ft. Wayne, Ind., and 3rd Bn. at Ft. Brady, Mich. And in relation to your uniform. This PVT is a WW veteran of either the 1st or 2nd Divisions by virtue of the fourragere being worn, as neither the 2nd infantry nor the 6th Division was entitled to wear the rope, as neither of them were awarded Croix de Guerre.

post-1963-1313395048.jpg

And finally, we can just see the 6th Division patch,, this man is one James Vancil, 6th Inf, that's 6th Infantry Regiment, 6th Inf assigned to the 6th Div, 1923 to 1939, Vancil, a pre war enlistee, joining up in sometime 1935, this picture was taken I gather in 1935 after his training with the 6th Infantry, as in those days recruits were trained by the units they were assigned to.

post-34986-1336494806.jpg

Now having said all that, this is an interesting aspect, the shoulder strap button, is it OD Bakelight or tarnished brass?, This was a WWII ecomomy thing if it's OD Bakelight, not certain if they were used earlier.

post-111995-0-61263600-1552698196.jpg

The first ribbon is actually for membership in the VFW.

there You go !! thank You !!! - that middle yellow faded to almost white in my case !

as for the button - its brass just tarnished !

thank you for all information !! and pictures !! very helpfull !!!

there You go !! thank You !!! - that middle yellow faded to almost white in my case !

as for the button - its brass just tarnished !

thank you for all information !! and pictures !! very helpfull !!!

Brass button, check.

I thought double collar disks were post WWII, Were they used pre war as well?

I thought so too, thats one of many questions raised by this uniform. they were there a long time as some discs are seized by brass corrosion and cant get them to unscrew ( I don't force it though).

on one hand I am tempted to put some DI's on it.. but on other hand I am usually sorry after I play with items and ruin them...

any opinion on this marksman badge is it earlier pattern or rather later ? it looks brass, unmarked

post-111995-0-27457300-1552772225.jpg

I thought double collar disks were post WWII, Were they used pre war as well?

DUI's should be where the bottom pair of disks are.

post-34986-0-01885900-1552787909.gif Doooo, didn't notice the collar dscs on the bottom post-34986-0-01885900-1552787909.gif

As Kurt stated, DIs would be worn there.

What do these 4 look like by the way, are they screwbacks?

yes they all are screwbacks, matching pairs

Another question, are there grommets for the insignia on the collars and lapels, or are the screwback posts punched though the fabric?

Another question, are there grommets for the insignia on the collars and lapels, or are the screwback posts punched though the fabric?

There is grommets - I believe all m1926 uniforms had grommets ?

RustyCanteen

There is grommets - I believe all m1926 uniforms had grommets ?

Many but not all.

I would have expected to see the 'waffle back' Type II disks, but not impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

one more question, according to this terrific thread here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56036-the-evolution-of-the-1926-army-ems-coat/

31A spec would be melton wool, but this uniform is more of a serge WW2 type although its 1933 stamped and has 31A spec on a tag. any input on that matter ? is that a common thing ?

BTW - when its raining it pouring - I just got a melton wool 6th ID M1926 tunic from ebay that looks untouched for a whooping $25 buy now - I will post some pictures later