“Go For Broke” 442nd RCT CZ 27 Bringback from Hawaii

WWIIBuff1945

WWIIBuff1945

I snagged this cool bringback on Gunbroker tonight. I’m glad there were no other bidders. There may be a few reasons for that. The condition of the gun, its location and no feedback from the seller. I have not seen any bringbacks from a 442nd vet in the past few years I have been collecting them. This particular Czech CZ 27 bring back is from T/5 Tech Corporal William Takesaburo Oshiro. He was one of 650 men who served in the in the 522nd Field Artillery Battalion. The 522nd was an integral component of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team. Yet the unit itself also stood alone for its remarkable accomplishments. The 522nd successfully completed every one of its 52 assignments, supporting more than seven different army divisions and units. The men traveled 1,100 miles in pursuit of the retreating Germans, from the Saar and Rhine Rivers to the Austrian border. As you can see by the pics the gun has rust issues. The rust appears to be surface in nature. Obliviously, I didn’t buy if for the condition but rather for the history. The additional pictures sent by the seller show the rust is not too deeply pitted. It may have been stored in its original holster for many years plus the high Hawaiian humidity probably contributed to the rust. This gun was purchased out of a Hawaiian estate. The gun is being shipped from the vet’s hometown in Hawaii. I think I’m going to get the rust off by soaking in in Kroil oil for a few days and then use a fine bronze pad.

Thanks to Matt (AZNATION) I have some interesting information on Mr Oshiro: “By the way, on his Registration Card where it says CPC Kunia Camp, at first I thought maybe that was some sort of Japanese relocation camp or something. Turns out all it was is California Packing Company (Del Monte) Kunia Camp Plantation where people lived that worked on the plantation, which at the time William T. Oshiro was there, evidently it was a sugar cane plantation. On the 1940 Census, it shows a lot of his family are irrigation labor on the sugar cane plantation.”

I’m happy to be the new caretaker of this piece of history!

Here is an interesting history channel story on the 442nd:

post-158759-0-34455400-1552696762.jpg

Fantastic find! Congratulations!

My favorite unit. I have a helmet brought back by the commander of the Hawaiian 100th battalion from the Vosges ‘rescue of the lost Battalion’. A friend in town is the son of a 442nd vet and is very active in the vet association.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WWIIBuff1945

My favorite unit. I have a helmet brought back by the commander of the Hawaiian 100th battalion from the Vosges ‘rescue of the lost Battalion’. A friend in town is the son of a 442nd vet and is very active in the vet association.

Thanks Seebee. That's cool that you have the commanders helmet!

Very nice!!! That is a great find.

Here is a suggestion though - don't use a fine bronze pad, try some Big45 instead. I have used it for years, and was turned on to it by a friend who deals in really old guns, high end stuff. Skip the Kroil at first too, and just try some of this without any oil and see what it takes off.

http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

No matter what it will be spotty looking, but of course way better spotty with no rust than rust.

WWIIBuff1945

Very nice!!! That is a great find.

Here is a suggestion though - don't use a fine bronze pad, try some Big45 instead. I have used it for years, and was turned on to it by a friend who deals in really old guns, high end stuff. Skip the Kroil at first too, and just try some of this without any oil and see what it takes off.

http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

No matter what it will be spotty looking, but of course way better spotty with no rust than rust.

Thanks! I heard about Big45 but wondered if a lubricant was needed. I'm glad you cleared that up. I'll give it a try.

No sir, no lubricant needed. I do it without first and remove what I can, then with a soft cloth wipe it down, wipe it down, wipe it down to get all the rust and crap ff, then I oil it after I am all done. It does work as advertised and sure doesn't remove bluing. Like I noted tho, removing that rust will leave the gun with a speckled appearance where it's down to bare metal after the rust is gone.

WWIIBuff1945

Cool story SEEBEE!

Today I spoke to the seller in Hawaii who actually is the grandson of the vet. He mentioned that his grandfather stored the gun in its holster from when he came home in 1945 until he died in 2013. As far as he knew it was never shot by his grandfather. He mentioned his grandfather was a photographer during the war and took many photos. Unfortunately, he sold everything on eBay about 3 years ago! He had other bring backs like flags and other souvenirs but they were also sold. No additional information on how he acquired the CZ during the war. I mentioned if he found anything else to please give me first shot at it.

Very cool! Would you mind posting pictures of the helmet?