USS San Francisco Helmet ID'ed to Pearl Harbor Survivor

AnDuc49

Thank you all for the kind comments. I was just extremely lucky with this set. I wonder what Mr. Hornsby would think about the fact that if he didn't spend the 5-10 secs penciling his name into the liner, there would've never been a mystery to solve.

By my count, this fighting sailor participated in 17 combat operations and merited at least 8 battle stars aboard the USS HONOLULU. Truly a historic Navy helmet.

More photos and details at Navsource here

Thank you for the numerous photos sir, especially of the damage shown of the Honolulu following the attack on Pearl Harbor. It definitely helps to visualize Mr. Hornsby's story a little bit more.

However, I'd just like to point out that Hornsby served on the USS San Francisco CA-38 rather than the Honolulu CL-42. The San Francisco was awarded 17 Battle Stars during her service, making her the 3rd most decorated ship of the war

Here are two more photos that I was able to obtain of Mr. Hornsby, thanks very much to his daughter.

This is one of what looks like might be his graduation from basic training at San Diego. He is in the 2nd row, visible 2nd from left

post-154926-0-40912500-1552681863_thumb.jpg

A photo of him actually onboard the USS San Francisco in front of the gun turrets. I assume this may be the turret crews.

He's in the front row, near the right anchor chain. Unfortunately, he's practically the only guy who happened to be looking down when the photo was taken!

post-154926-0-82889000-1552681965_thumb.jpg

Very nice, I've been trying to get one from that seller but haven't been able to yet because it seems like every week they sell for more then the week before. Really cool that those helmets survived although its too bad they weren't stored better.

Salvage Sailor

Thank you all for the kind comments. I was just extremely lucky with this set. I wonder what Mr. Hornsby would think about the fact that if he didn't spend the 5-10 secs penciling his name into the liner, there would've never been a mystery to solve.

Thank you for the numerous photos sir, especially of the damage shown of the Honolulu following the attack on Pearl Harbor. It definitely helps to visualize Mr. Hornsby's story a little bit more.

However, I'd just like to point out that Hornsby served on the USS San Francisco CA-38 rather than the Honolulu CL-42. The San Francisco was awarded 17 Battle Stars during her service, making her the 3rd most decorated ship of the war

Thanks for the correction, I'd had my coffee before posting but somehow kept posting photos of the Honolulu rather than the San Francisco. I've edited the posts to show the heavy damage inflicted on the USS SAN FRANCISCO (CA-38) during the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal

77 sailors, including Rear Admiral Daniel J. Callaghan and Captain Cassin Young, had been killed. 105 had been wounded. Of seven missing, three were subsequently rescued. The ship had taken 45 hits. Structural damage was extensive, but not fatal. No hits had been received below the waterline. Twenty-two fires had been started and extinguished.

CHASEUSA11B

What an amazing helmet,

As Ive posted before, my great uncle was a Gunners mate on the San Francisco at Pearl Harbor and through most of the war. He may have crossed paths with this sailor.

I greatly appreciate the info in this thread

Thanks for the correction, I'd had my coffee before posting but somehow kept posting photos of the Honolulu rather than the San Francisco. I've edited the posts to show the heavy damage inflicted on the USS SAN FRANCISCO (CA-38) during the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal

77 sailors, including Rear Admiral Daniel J. Callaghan and Captain Cassin Young, had been killed. 105 had been wounded. Of seven missing, three were subsequently rescued. The ship had taken 45 hits. Structural damage was extensive, but not fatal. No hits had been received below the waterline. Twenty-two fires had been started and extinguished.

Fantastic write up sir. You really did not need to go back and edit all of those posts, but I'm really glad you did.

The 'Frisco sure did get more than it's fair share of the war

What an amazing helmet,

As Ive posted before, my great uncle was a Gunners mate on the San Francisco at Pearl Harbor and through most of the war. He may have crossed paths with this sailor.

I greatly appreciate the info in this thread

Oh wow, that's amazing! Is he still with us? I imagine they must've crossed paths at least once.

Have you looked at the pic of the crew in front of the gun turrets? Perhaps he might be in there somewhere

CHASEUSA11B

-Oh wow, that's amazing! Is he still with us? I imagine they must've crossed paths at least once.

Have you looked at the pic of the crew in front of the gun turrets? Perhaps he might be in there somewhere

-

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/209726-my-great-uncle-maxs-navy-cross/?fromsearch=1

Unfortunately he died in a training accident in 1949, long before I was born.

If you look at my link theres some great pics and info on the San Francisco

• 2 months later...

While doing some more research on the ship, I happened to find a newspaper clipping showing Eddie Hornsby (circled in red) along with other crew members in front of the USS San Francisco's gun turret. I believe the photo taken during the war or shortly afterwards, but could be a post-war reunion as well. Quality of the image is not that great, but it's crazy to think that each man earned over 20 stars.

In total, 55 men hold over 1100 combat stars and 300 ribbons.

Imagine the stories they could tell!

post-154926-0-65234300-1559631620_thumb.jpg

The Rooster

Thats amazing that you were able to find all that out. !! Thank you for this post as it brings much more meaning to the one I picked up a few days ago.

If I'm fortunate... maybe I'l find a name too! But even if I dont. Its great to know about the history of the ship these helmets came from..

Thank you!! Thats remarkable that you found out all of that!!!

• 1 year later...

Hello sir. i read your post about a usn san francisco usn headset that you have and you mentioned researching all the soldiers that were on the crew.
Can you tell me more about this research? thank you in advance