Sgt Sollie Perry 76th Co., 6th Marine Regiment

0811gysgt

I recently purchased this set of medals as a project. Sgt Sollie Perry served during WWI with the 76th Co., 6th Marine Regiment (Co. B 1/6). He enlisted in the Marine Corps on 1 June 1915.

I could not find any record that Sgt Perry received the Croix de Guerre. I am curious to what bars his WWI Victory should have so I can restore it.

Any assistance or further would be greatly appreciated.

post-8847-0-08944800-1552628365_thumb.jpeg

Hi Rocco, nice set of medals for a WWI Marine. Ancestry muster rolls won’t give much more than his unit over there maybe a date of arrival in France in my experience. To know what bars for sure he would rate, on this one you would want to pull his entire file. I know as adavanced collector you probably have the contacts or resources to do that. The Marines with the Second Division would rate up to five bars if they saw action the entire war (got over there in time for Belleauwood in June, and didn’t miss anything due to wounds, training, etc.) if he stayed for occupation duty he would warrant the fifth bar which was defensive sector. With an enlistment date of 1915 and exit in 1919, if I were a betting man, he probably warrants all five bars, but you need to make sure he was with this company and over there at the onset of the hostilities the Marines were involved in, and again didn’t miss any action form wounds etc. if all five, they are:

Aisne

Aisne-Marne

St Michiel

Muese-Argonne

Defensive Sector

Good luck, you really should research this one, special group. Kevin

By the way, research may help in determining if his CdG had a palm or star perhaps. The 4th brigade roster doesnt indicate any mention of WIA, but does list him as a Sgt (looks like you already had that info). Kevin

• 4 years later...

I am sure this is my grandfather. I  never met him. I was told he died from complications of mustard gas. His wife and 3 children are all deceased. 

I passed this information along to my brothers and sisters