Opinions please: 101st patches and reference book

warcollect1942

warcollect1942

Is the top left bird type 3? All three have attached tabs. Did Mark Bando write a book with more information

and pictures of the sub variants?

post-28946-0-15486300-1552616322_thumb.jpg

post-28946-0-83808500-1552616341_thumb.jpg

warcollect1942

Thanks Ski

I have starred at that for hours, I am looking for info on types

15 and 12. I can't find much on the sub variants. Now I am

looking for an out of print book.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello !

Mark Bando's book " eagle patch guide" is unfidable nowadays, but a french guy called Kevin Delaitre has written another one, easy to find. I guess that the author is the guy Mark Bando is talking about when he says that his photos were used without giving him credit. I must admit it's unfair and disrespectful...anyway...here's the stuff....can be found on EBay or Amazon I suppose. I'ts both English and french language and may be an alternative solution if you don't find a copy of M.B's one.

post-212424-0-47241800-1553673374.png

post-212424-0-13725600-1553673561.jpg

Just checked Mark Bando's website....the author who didn't pay credit, is another one for another book untitled " l'épopée de la 101st airborne" and that doesn't focus on patches. So the one from Kevin Delaitre must be OK. Mark Bando even wrote the introduction. Hope this helps !

Twenty Euros? This is a NO BRAINER for 101st A/B patch collectors or anyone who wants to pick up a WWII example. One could easily make a mistake many times greater than $22.46 (current exchange rate)by accidentally purchasing a Type 14 thinking it is a much more valuable Type 7. Spend a few bucks. Study the information. Know what you are buying and you'll never regret the cash outlay.

Allan

I always liked this display ... which was broken up and sold. I believe this picture was taken at the 2013 Show of Shows in Louisville, KY.

post-151977-0-11035900-1553879149_thumb.jpg

I always liked this display ... which was broken up and sold. I believe this picture was taken at the 2013 Show of Shows in Louisville, KY.

One really could make a life time quest of collecting these, couldn't they?

And these do not even include subdued, Asian made, or desert variations.

Good luck at a show trying to tell the type 7 in post#9 the bottom row first on the left and the type #12 in post #10 the first on the left.

warcollect1942

The type 7s were discussed last week. Everything OK. I bought the type 12 from a gentleman who supplied Mr Bando with several examples for his books.

In other words an expert I really trust.

warcollect1942

I always liked that display. It was on ebay it didn't meet the sellers reserve.

I wish I could make out the I D under each patch.

For those that missed it the first time around, here is my thread on Vietnam era reproduction 101st patches.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/279943-angry-birds-a-selection-of-questionable-vietnam-era-101st-patches/?hl=%2Bangry+%2Bbirds

Along with 1st CAV motto patches, it has to be one of the most heavily reproduced designs out there.

Who'd want a bunch of old bird patches like that anyway ?

I see a couple brit made birdies that caught my attention ;)

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

If someone has already answered your question then you might do well to disregard my answer. First let me qualify my answer by saying that I am by no means a expert on these types of patches. These are just my personal opinions which can be wrong. The 2 to the left are clearly post war types 14 and 15 I believe. The one to the far right I’m not sure about but my best guess is that it too is also post war possibly a type 15 variant. Hopefully given when you made your post some one else has given you a more definitive answer about the one on the far right. The other 2 are no brainers I think. If you look at the previous posts before yours you’ll find examples of them. Best of luck.

WR