158th Infantry BUSHMASTERS - Captain Henry A. Seebald

aznation

I don't know if anyone on the forum was the lucky bidder on these two groupings, but I thought I'd post information regarding it. I like 158th Infantry items but I knew these were going to go too high for my budget and they did. Still, I was interested in researching the man who's name was associated with these wonderful items, so I'm going to post what I've found.

1st Item Description:

Up for bid is an original WWII US Army size 7 1/8 Captains overseas cap by Lewis. Attached to the cap is a super RARE and superb theater jeweler made pin backed 158th Infantry BUSHMASTERS DI insignia. The DI measures approx 1 1/8 x 1 inch in size and is made of silver and gold. Although unmarked for content, the insignia tests as Sterling and 10k gold. The body is sterling and the snake and knife insignia is 10k gold. The cap was removed from the grouping of Captain Henry A. Seebald from Pennsylvania who served with the Bushmasters during WWII. I will be listing his uniform later this week. The cap is in nice original shape exhibiting some period wear and light soiling with a few small stains. The sterling marked Amico Captain bars are nice with some tarnish. The Bushmaster insignia is in nice shape exhibiting some period wear and tarnish. The clasp holding the pin is bent down a bit and I didn't want to pry to pin out for fear of damaging it. The insignia is awesome and I guarantee winning bidder will be pleased. Guaranteed 100% authentic in every regard.

g1.jpg

2nd Item Description

Up for bid is a neat original WWII 158th Infantry Regiment "Bushmasters" uniform lot. Lot includes named 4 pocket uniform jacket with tan shirt, visor cap, overseas cap, officers belt, Misc insignia, and unit history. The jacket is named to Henry A. Seebald, who checks out as a Captain in the 158th. The identification in the pocket lists him as a 1st Sgt in the Lehigh University ROTC and is dated 10/8/40. I can only assume that he used his ROTC dress jacket as an officers jacket during WWII. If you google Captain Seebald, you will find that he wrote the famous speech delivered to the 158th by General Douglas MacArthur. The items were part of a collection that I am selling on consignment, and as far as I know everything in the grouping came together but I am not 100% positive. All insignia is certainly WWII vintage and appears original to the jacket. The vintage items are in solid condition exhibiting period wear. The unit history book exhibits some soiling and wear to spine and cover. Uniform is in solid shape with some period wear. Insignia exhibits wear and tarnish, etc.. The visor cap is in solid shape exhibiting period wear and soiling and is a bit flattened from storage. Overseas cap shows period wear and soiling. The officers belt is in nice shape and is in what I believe is the original box. The misc. insignia in small tin container exhibits wear and tarnishing.

g9.jpg