M1917 or M1917A1?

ClaptonIsGod

ClaptonIsGod

After being burned probably ten years ago buying a Canadian Brodie and thinking it was US, I recently decided to take another shot and try to finally get a real US helmet from before the M-1 days to round out my collection. After learning a bit about bales and heat stamps, I felt comfortable enough to take a chance on this helmet. Beyond learning what bail attachments and general heat stamp styles to watch for, I don't know anything more about this helmet. Is it original paint from WWI if it's an M1917? Heat stamp is ZN45, does that correspond to manufacturer/rough timeline like M1 stamps? Just trying to get as much info as I can, and to figure out how I'll restore it with regard to the liner and chinstraps. Hopefully I didn't just burn myself again. Thanks

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

ClaptonIsGod

Just won it last night, but will do so as soon as it arrives. Sounds like between the round rivets and the heat stamp starting with Z (if that's the heat stamp, it was mentioned in the description but not pictured so I went off rivets alone) it's a US-made shell? I looked at some pictures of other original M1917s and the paint looks pretty close, and if it was an A1 rework would it have more of a cork finish and lighter OD similar to an M1? Just crazy to think that this is probably over a hundred years old.

ClaptonIsGod

Just arrived and it most definitely is ZN45. Guessing this is probably worth quite a bit if the stamp is so rare? Not planning to sell, just curious.

DtQss3P.jpg

Sw9buGF.jpg

Just arrived and it most definitely is ZN45. Guessing this is probably worth quite a bit if the stamp is so rare? Not planning to sell, just curious.

I can count the number of people that I know of who are interested in m1917 maker codes on two fingers, so I don't think there would be much of a premium on it.

It's an interesting helmet in that it looks like it was never finished. I've got a ZN55 that's the same way.

ClaptonIsGod

Thanks again for the info, just happy to have a true M1917 and the rare stamp is a bonus. By unfinished, do you mean painted with no texture (cork, etc.)? Would that point to an early helmet, perhaps they hadnt added that process yet? Planning on putting one of these in it: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F361463853389