Need Help with 113th Anti Aircraft Artillery info

JakeBird6684

JakeBird6684

Hello, My Great Grandfather served in WW2 in the European theater, he fought in the Battle of the Bulge and was attached to Company D of the 113th AAA gun battalion. He was a truck driver in which I believe he towed around the large guns they fired. His name Was Glenn Edwards Straw and was a Tec5 in the US army.

Any info on him or his unit would be really appreciated. In this post, I'll post a copy of his discharge papers if that is any help at all.

Also would be down to trade or buy any 113th AAA uniforms or artifacts

Thanks,

Jake Bird

post-201964-0-67595600-1552404139_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the rotation of the photo, I don't know how to change it

113th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion (Semimobile) was probably a high caliber gun unit.

History:

Constituted 19 December 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 113th Coast Artillery Battalion (Separate) (Antiaircraft) (Gun) (Semimobile) and activated 10 February 1943 at Fort Bliss Texas. Redesignated 28 June 1943 as the 113th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion (Semimobile). Departed New York Port of Embarkation 21 August 1943 for Overseas service, arrived North Africa 2 September 1943, moved to England 10 August 1944, arrives France 22 October 1944. Returned from Overseas service arriving New York Port of Embarkation 1 January 1946, Inactivated 2 Jauary 1946 Camp Kilmer New Jersey.

CAMPAIGNS

Rhinland

Ardennes Alsace

Central Euope

DECORATIONS

Belgian Fourragere 1940 (113th AAA Gun Bn cited, Dept of Army General Order 43, 1950)

Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for Defense of Liege (113th AAA Gun Bn cited for period 27 Nov-14 Dec 1944; Dept of Army General Order 43, 1950).

Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for Defense of the Meuse River (113th AAA Gun Bn cited for period 27 Nov-14 Dec 1944; Dept of Army General Order 43, 1950)

JakeBird6684

Thank you so much, I would if anything like to know which unit they were apart of and if they had a patch, what that would look like

JakeBird6684

Still looking for any information, Anything helps

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Will trade or consider any US navy groupings or uniforms

Still looking for any information, Anything helps

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Will trade or consider any US navy groupings or uniforms

What else would you like to know?

Is there any other history or things I should know about my grandfather or things like that?

I don't think we can tell you on your Grandfathers personal experiences, but we will try and find more on the unit if that information is available.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

The 113th AAA Gn Bn was a 90mm outfit (semi-mobile). Gun signified 90mm heavies (or the scant few larger) whereby the medium range were automatic weapons (AW). A 90mm had 16 guns, 4 per firing battery. My father's battalion, the 143rd AAA Gn Bn was also 90mm but fully mobile (FM) and so was used at times to transport the semi mobile 90mms. Their compliment was about 750, a bit more than the semi mobile version due to a larger battery motor pools. I have a source that states on 5/16/45, while in Remagen, Germany, men from Hq. Btry. 143rd stayed behind the battalion's motor march to wait for their trucks to return from Marseilles, France where they had hauled the 113th AAA. This data at least suggests the 113th was defending the Remagen Bridge with the 143rd. Hope that helps.