Aviation Ring question?

rocky

Hi,

this looks like a knowledgeable area to ask this question. A guy I know has a 1944 Aviation ring with a V5 on one side and the year 1944 on the other side. I would like to purchase it from him but I cannot find any online. It has a dark color stone with some chips in it. It is 12K gold. Would it be worth more than it's gold content? If I do get it I will post pics but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

rocky

Jumpin Jack

Rocky, I've had an assortment of service rings, but never one in 12K. The V5 ring is very interesting. Do you have a name for the recipient? I would think that $75. plus

the gold weight would be a fair price. Good luck! Jack

Source: USMiitariaforum.com

I think the V5 pilot program was to quickly train Naval aviators for WWII and provide some college credits. There was flight training and I know they used the N2S Stearman to train on and there was a very short period in which to solo (10 hours) which might have varied from location to location.
The Navy had three programs:
V5 - for officers
V6 - for enlisted
V12 - for the naval reserve.

Thanks for all the information. I did not see the ring in person. The guy I know was telling me about it and I talked to him again on the phone and apparently he mixed up the story. The ring is 10K, dated 1944 and on the other side it does not say V5 but says Naval Aviator. He has a pin that has V5 on it along with some aviation papers and dog tags. He told me he took it to a place that buys gold & it is worth $200 in gold. I cannot see it getting melted down so I will probably buy if from him even though the stone is chipped & a piece is missing. If I do get it, I will post pics.

Thanks again,

Del