Show your RARE WWII 101st Airborne Patches especially theater made

fiveodeuce

Hello all,

I would love to see what all rare WWII 101st patches are lurking out there in private collections. Lets face it, the 101st patch is probably the #1 collected patch in the collecting world if not #1 it's darn close. Lets see some really nice ones maybe this will become a very nice thread for collectors of the 101st patch to come to as a reference on rare hard to find variations. I'll start with some nice ones from my collection. Everybody jump on in with some goodies.

James

Once you get past the type B-2 they get really rare, in fact the B-2 is pretty darn rare itself. Next we have the patch which Mark Bando classifies as the B-3 (British type 3), but this isn't the ordinary type B-3 it is the so called bullion type. The regular B-3 is made like the B-2 it just has a really ugly looking eagle on it. For a little extra money the paratrooper could have the regular B-3 patch sewn over with metalic thread to look sharper, so under the silver and gold thread there is a regular type B-3. This is a much rarer version of the B-3 so I'm very lucky to have one. A friend of mine who is on this forum has the regular B-3 hopefully he will post it in this thread.

post-419-1229761049.jpg

Some great patches and a very interesting thread! Unfortunately I can't provide any WW II theater made variants. Would you mind to post a picture of the back of a B 1 or B 2 for reference here?

Thanks

Lars

Next we have the rarest 101st patch I own, Mark Bando classifies this one as the B-6 (British type 6). This type of patch has always been found in the effects of 506th paratroopers so maybe it was made in the areas where the 506th were located who knows? This patch is actually pictured in the Keller brothers patch book "United States Army Shoulder Patches 41st to 106th Division" on page 206. I really love this one.

post-419-1229761392.jpg

Here is a nice US made variation, that has become the most sought after 101st patch of them all. The velvet officers patch. Mark Bando classifies this patch as the US type 8. These were made in 1943 for the officers in the 101st before they sailed for England. Enough were made so that every officer in the 101st could have 2 for their dress uniforms. Nco's and enlisted men got the left overs. This is a real beautiful patch!!

post-419-1229761845.jpg

This is the last one I'm going to post at this time. This is a neat variation that you don't see much with a green uncut center. Mark Bando classifies this patch as the US type 3. This one you don't see everyday.

post-419-1229762005.jpg

I hope everyone enjoys seeing these patches and I also hope we get alot of other nice 101st patches added to this post. Lets really make this into an awesome thread about the 101st patch. Also to all you collectors out there who don't know who Mark Bando is, he is the foremost expert on the 101st Airborne during WWII, and without his research and dedication we wouldn't know half what we know about the 101st during WWII. If you haven't seen his website check it out it's really awesome. Here's the address www.101airborneww2.com He got me hooked on collecting the 101st patch variations, now I'm an addict HA HA HA! Anyway I hope everyone enjoys this thread.

James

Lars,

Here are the 2 backs for you. I would take pictures of some of the other backs, but they are too hard to get out of the case I have them in now sorry. I hope these help.

James

B-1 back

post-419-1229763038.jpg

Hello guys,

Nice work you've shown here !! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I don't have much theater made 101sts but I'll have here some of my favorites...

Enjoy

Hans

post-4811-1229811722.jpg

post-4811-1229811739.jpg

post-4811-1229811827.jpg

Sparkyasundevil

Hey James,

Here are scans of a few rare eagle patches from my collection.

The green and yellow parachute cap oval is from the effects of John Brown. Brown was an MP in the 101st and jumped as security for Gen. Taylor in Normandy. He was killed a few day later while on a mission to pick up supply bundles. This is one RARE patch as no-one that I have ever met has seen another one like it. It is English made on felt.

The type 8 patch came from a man named Gee who was in the 907th PFAB. It is as mint as they come since it was originally in a celophane wrap. The wrap was so brittle that it has since fallen apart.

The 101 eagle patch was one that was available at the PX. I have been told that Forrest Guth E/506 had one sewn to one of his uniforms at some point during the war.

The strange looking eagle is from a trooper named King. At first glance it looks as if it is Japanese made but the back is distincly English. The eagle is padded so it sticks out off the patch.

post-145-1229894171.jpg

This type is kind of unique and is quite difficult to find. Mark Bando classifies this patch as the type 12. If you will notice the bottom of the patch is fatter at the bottom than it is at the top very strange.

post-419-1229906894.jpg

This type is one of my favorites. Mark Bando classifies this patch as the US Type 6. If you look at this patch and tab you will notice that it is sort of crudely made, Mark Bando believes this version of the type 6 patch (there are several different variations of the type 6 patch) was made up right before the Normandy invasion to make up for the lack of insignia for the upcoming invasion. I do believe he is correct. These patches are really hard to find and when you find them most of the time they are in combat worn condition like this example. I really love this patch. The next 2 examples I'm going to show may have the same explanation as they are crudely made as well.

post-419-1229907359.jpg

I think thats all I'm going to post for now, as most of the other ones I have are the more normal variations. To all the folks who have added to this post I appreciate it, and I hope we get alot more nice 101st patches posted.

James

That's a great thread with some stunning patches, thanks for sharing!

Hmm, one question please: Why not post all the WW II variants here and make this reference complete? That would avoid "channel hopping" between this thread and Mark Bandos site for the non-professionels like me. Just an idea - it's your thread...

Lars