Seeking Information and Pictures on early tactical gear

RTS

Very nice forum you all have here! I am looking for information on and pictures of tactical gear from the late 1970s to early 1990s (ABA, QRV, early LBT and AWS gear, etc. ) I have always found the examples of equipment from mom and pop shops and rigger-made equipment very interesting.

Thanks very much

Some close-ups of what I believe to be late 80's or early 90's AWS chest rigs. However, I'm not 100% sure who made them. They are all completely unmarked.

One is made to accept M-14 magazines. The other rig is made to accept M-16 magazines.

blackawsharness1.jpg

blackawsharness2.jpg

Another chest rig that accepts MP-5 magazines. All the Nexus and Fastex fasteners on these rigs are dated from 1988 to 1991.

The pouch is for made for two M-16 magazines. It came as part of the chest rig pictured in this post.

blackawsharness3.jpg

blackawspouch1.jpg

Very nice forum you all have here! I am looking for information on and pictures of tactical gear from the late 1970s to early 1990s (ABA, QRV, early LBT and AWS gear, etc. ) I have always found the examples of equipment from mom and pop shops and rigger-made equipment very interesting.

Thanks very much

I live in Oceanside, California, next to Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, and downtown Oceanside has a fair amount of stores stocked partially or totally with "after market" tactical gear. I've often said this will drive future collectors crazy if they adopt the current collector's mantra of "that's civilian made and was not used by the military." I get bags full of used gear from guys who were Marine recon or otherwise infantry and they all pretty much have as much "commercial" gear as GI issue. The used stuff post-Vietnam to Gulf War is also characterized by having lots of lots of duct tape and black electrician's tape on it (the black tape was popular for securing loose strap ends and the duct tape used to hold things together). Black tactical gear is very common.

I live in Oceanside, California, next to Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, and downtown Oceanside has a fair amount of stores stocked partially or totally with "after market" tactical gear. I've often said this will drive future collectors crazy if they adopt the current collector's mantra of "that's civilian made and was not used by the military." I get bags full of used gear from guys who were Marine recon or otherwise infantry and they all pretty much have as much "commercial" gear as GI issue. The used stuff post-Vietnam to Gulf War is also characterized by having lots of lots of duct tape and black electrician's tape on it (the black tape was popular for securing loose strap ends and the duct tape used to hold things together). Black tactical gear is very common.

Thanks guys for the speedy and detailed replies-I had seen some of the pictures when I was sniffing around but thanks

for the hook-up. Way to pile on! I've been custom-making tactical gear for several years and it still amazes me how much

stuff pops up that nobody has ever seen before. Please keep it coming-

Stepoutside any Military Base(or in the PX) and theres dealers selling aftermarket gear. Waiting to get gear through channels just as your about to deploy can be frustrating. Just on my son's part I would say about half the gear deploying is civilian procurred. So collectors in the future "good Luck"!

Stepoutside any Military Base(or in the PX) and theres dealers selling aftermarket gear. Waiting to get gear through channels just as your about to deploy can be frustrating. Just on my son's part I would say about half the gear deploying is civilian procurred. So collectors in the future "good Luck"!

It certainly hasn't gotten any easier with the larger numbers of aftermarket manufacturers getting tapped to manufacture issue items. I am still

very interested in stories of gear makers that 'went away' either being bought out or hanging it up. Thanks again guys

VolunteerArmoury

The Military Clothing Sales on post sell alot of commercial gear. Some of what I use is commercial and some of that was issued to me by my uniform.