ebay para? inland

Costa

USMC-RECON0321

I am sure I am being dense here but I am missing on why the liner from my helmet could not belong to the $3K helmet.

I understand that the $3k helmet liner has initials and marches somewhat in wear. But the Lt. Bar AND the name Sullivan matches also.

So therefore why is it NOT possible that my liner actually belongs to the $3K steel pot?

I honestly do not care either way, I am just trying to understand why.

The problem that the person who purchased the $3K helmet is going to have is that he has nothing to prove the helmet came from Sullivan. I am shocked that he or she did not buy my helmet too.

As for the M1C, it has a name and ASN penciled inside of it that is not Sullivan.

I believe it is Roy Beard 8997979 (not sure the number is correct).

Because the liner in your helmet with the OD Green A-washers is a 1943 to a mid 1944 manufactured Liner. So it will really come down to when did Sullivan arrived in North Africa? If 1942 or early 43 your liner wouldn't have been produced yet. So at best it would be a replacement later in the war, but then why still have the other one if it needed to be replaced? The other liner matches up with the early time line.

If someone won both helmet sets, you could also compare wear marks to shells and have a pretty good idea of what went with what or what didn't go with what?

Troy

Thank you Troy.

That helps a lot.

Maybe my liner was a replacement of some sort.

I find it odd that my steel pot is an M1C and the liner is NOT an AB liner.

Everyone didnt get a jump liner or he might not have jumped alot or he didnt take his jump liner home or the estate people just found helmets and liners in a box and put them together etc who knows...mike

Kadet,

Good info on the 11th.

USMC, Yes that is what you said, after clarifying what the "Tie" meant, same owner yes, different helmets/liners belonging to one another correct (not a mismatch). It would be very interesting to see whom the other SM was esp with the ASN.

Anton, It was very common for non ABN liners to be used with M1C's and vice versa, or straps cut off one or the other. WWII and later. Esp depending where the unit was at said time; and purpose could and would be common to see liners worn as part of a uniform and not the shell.

VR
​Peg6

Whoever picked up the $3K lid should PM me so we can exchange any relevant info to keep the ID intact.

Also maybe there is other writing in the helmets/liners that would help with ID.

manayunkman

Who knows what was at the sale and who matched what to what.

Maybe there was an airborne liner there and someone else got it.

I've been to many of these sales and the first few minutes are chaos especially if you are trying to find something.

Well...to the point of what this helmet is worth....any helmet with tactical markings, rank marked, named with its original net is a rare bird. On top of that, it has North Africa provenance. I have been collecting 35 years and have only owned four helmets with their original wartime nets. Youll never see another one like it. Fantastic.

Well...to the point of what this helmet is worth....any helmet with tactical markings, rank marked, named with its original net is a rare bird. On top of that, it has North Africa provenance. I have been collecting 35 years and have only owned four helmets with their original wartime nets. Youll never see another one like it. Fantastic.

The problem that the person who purchased the $3K helmet is going to have is that he has nothing to prove the helmet came from Sullivan. I am shocked that he or she did not buy my helmet too.

Hello I just noticed you posted 20 messages in this thread about this helmet. Are you also the buyer of the 36th helmet ?

The 36th helmet is really beautiful, one of a kind and 100% original. Congratulations to the buyer.

Congrats Anton! Ill post his WW2 helmet with the Salerno markings sometime soon in a different thread. Im not much for Korean War Militaria but the stuff you picked up is breathtaking

Thank you for the kind comments.

I am posting the two hats and 3 shirts in the thread with my AB helmet.

The cool part is that his name and serial number are in the hat and 3 shirts.

USMC-RECON0321

Congrats Anton! Ill post his WW2 helmet with the Salerno markings sometime soon in a different thread. Im not much for Korean War Militaria but the stuff you picked up is breathtaking

I don't think Anton, owns the Salerno helmet. Not sure it's known who won that auction. Anton was talking about owning both Airborne Overseas Caps now.

Troy

Hi Troy.

Jayhawkboy owns the Salerno helmet.

He is saying that he will post it in another thread

I basically ended up with the Korean War items and the two overseas caps and 3 shirts.

The shirts and caps have his full name and ASN which links it up nicely for me. The shirts also appear to be Korean War vintage which again links them to my helmet (the Captain AB helmet).