ebay para? inland

Costa

Looks like I was right after all. The silent were waiting to bid. $3K???

WOW!

The seller was smart taking good advice and not taking any back door offers.

He told me that two people offered him $2500.

Good move on his part relisting the helmet.

That is great info.

How did you link the helmet to him?

Other than the sellers story?

Is there some markings on the helmet not shown?

Kadet,

Good calls on info. After some deliberation and discussions with some other friends I did feel this was a good one. I did end up bidding, no did not win. So some details to learn from this one as yes this forum is for education! Things that were not talked here that were good.

1. "RES" is seen on the liner back nape strape portion of the liner. Thus the Roy Earl Sullivan.

2. It did come frome an estate sale which I tend to give a little bit more credence to (Not to say that estate sales = real) but it hasnt been around the block from anyone on this forum.

3. The liner is early... Did anyone else notice it has the sweatband snaps ins? This is an early high pressure liner and a rare variation as it also is the khaki webbing.

4. The helmet has multiple layers of green paint. This is signifigant because a lot of helmets would get worn down and repainted even if by the same user. This is common even amongst the d-day type paints. This can be seen in the cork, thats been worn down, then painted over leaving the moon craters. Also you can see that the insignia which was painted over this last touch up. This furthur lends itself to a helmet being worn for a period of time, worn down, repainted then insignia applied. which for 36th ID, combined with the earlier liner marries up with a Salerno time frame of markings. These markings can also be found in footage well after Salerno during the Italian Campaign.

6. The net has been sun bleached, but not tattered or appears to look artificially aged, ie the material is not breaking down un-naturally, i.e. a chemical has not deteriorated the cotton webbing.

5. Its hard to create aged patina rush, and soap residue in a helmet.

6. Things that were screwy, the airborne connection.

7. Little details from the seller on names even tho he believed he knew he had something rare.

8. 2 helmets, I wonder if the buyer purchased both?

9. I did run through quite a bit of Fold3 and Ancestry to find Sullivan and didn't find anything, so that's some good digging, and some luck. Kadet, nice job.

Side thoughts- Id say the helmet is worth that to the right person not to me, but yea seems like it went in the ballpark, named, original, campaign worn helmet, rare. 11th ABN Connection, I might suspect that LT Sullivan joined the ABN late in the war, the 11th, but obviously did not see action with them in WWII, this would explain the 11th Connection, the late war ABN helmet with CPT Rank / Korean War. So again I think both needed to be together as a history set. Alas a lot of $.

That is great info.

How did you link the helmet to him?

Other than the sellers story?

Is there some markings on the helmet not shown?

As mentioned, the initials RES in the liner coupled with the name Sullivan plus an hour or so reviewing the 36th ID rosters for an RE Sullivan that was an officer. The rest was pretty easy to find. Those are very cool helmets that make perfect sense when you know the history of the owner. Congrats to the winner!

I don’t know Owen.

What would you have paid?

Not much at all really as it’s only a piece I would buy to trade for something I actually wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manayunkman

How can yo tell that the Capt. helmet is an M1C?

it looks like a regular helmet to me and it didn't sell.

How can yo tell that the Capt. helmet is an M1C?

it looks like a regular helmet to me and it didn't sell.

Has M1C chinstraps.

My eyes are tuned in to pick up little M1C details!!.. like just barely noticeable male end para straps in afew of the pics...its a rearseam m1c so maybe not really worth $499 except cpt bars add cool factor...unlessthere is more to it than being just a plain jane m1c..im surprised the winner of the other helmet didnt also grab it at least for the liner alone that i believe has his name init too..the m1c shell might be totally unrelated to the vet who knows.....mike

I saw it was an M1C yesterday afternoon.

It is a rear seam M1C.

I am sure a few others noticed it also.

It is NO surprise to me that Sgt Dorango picked up on it.

Yup, it's refreshing to not have an auction end early and disappear like a fart in the wind. I wish more sellers would let the auctions ride out, it's better for them in the long run and I think most buyers enjoy a good auction.

USMC-RECON0321

I bought the M1C.

I still wonder if the liner goes with the $3K helmet?

Yes, I would say that liner is tied to the $3K helmet and most likely the M1C Captain's helmet some how? Would be interesting if you could ID the name in it and tie it to the same unit as Sullivan.

Nice grab Anton for $300.

Gents,

Ya'll are killin me.. theres really only 1 most plausible explanation here and Kadet did the work with the search of rosters. The two helmets were both Sullivan's and are mated properly... Look at post #56... and my post #58....

The 36th ID Helmet with the insignia, 1LT Bar liner, had Sullivan's initials in it. His obituary lists him in 36th ID. Shell and liner both match time, wear ect this was his WWII helmet.

The M1C Helmet now...

Liner says Sullivan, Shell has CPTS Bars.... Obituary lists he was 11th ABN Association. Since we established the connection already there is only 1 logical explanation...

The M1C and liner are / were both his Post WWII. (Shell was a re-issue, thus the other name, but Sullivan's CPT Bars on Shell and 1LT Sullivan rank on liner) Sullivan joined the 11th After the war, and was promoted. (As far as the neighbor and 82nd "" and jumps, who knows, easy in time to just think ABN and nobody remembers the 11th, everyone knows the 82nd and 101st, we don't know his Korean war record either, he may have made a jump in Korea, lots of research potential. At the end of this tho, they are/were both his. I wouldn't question that at this point.

His 36th helmet he kept for sentimental sakes, was issued another helmet at the 11th. He kept his CPTs Helmet and shell for whatever other sentiment. They are now split up and some great history loss.

VR
Peg6

No opinions??

I would like to know what Bugme thinks.

Bugme was out of state for the last 2 weeks so, this thread and the helmet weren't on my radar. My opinion at this point, no longer matters. ;)

I bought the M1C.

I still wonder if the liner goes with the $3K helmet?

Anton,

Good stuff on the M1C, I would recommend you print out all the information about the other helmet, and begin research on his end of WWII/Post War service~ you still have a gem of history, and I think that both helmet owners should do the same as far as printing records of the other helmet. Someday they could be united. You never know.

VR

Peg6

USMC-RECON0321

Yes, I would say that liner is tied to the $3K helmet and most likely the M1C Captain's helmet some how? Would be interesting if you could ID the name in it and tie it to the same unit as Sullivan.

Nice grab Anton for $300.

Gents,

Ya'll are killin me.. theres really only 1 most plausible explanation here and Kadet did the work with the search of rosters. The two helmets were both Sullivan's and are mated properly... Look at post #56... and my post #58....

The 36th ID Helmet with the insignia, 1LT Bar liner, had Sullivan's initials in it. His obituary lists him in 36th ID. Shell and liner both match time, wear ect this was his WWII helmet.

The M1C Helmet now...

Liner says Sullivan, Shell has CPTS Bars.... Obituary lists he was 11th ABN Association. Since we established the connection already there is only 1 logical explanation...

The M1C and liner are / were both his Post WWII. (Shell was a re-issue, thus the other name, but Sullivan's CPT Bars on Shell and 1LT Sullivan rank on liner) Sullivan joined the 11th After the war, and was promoted. (As far as the neighbor and 82nd "" and jumps, who knows, easy in time to just think ABN and nobody remembers the 11th, everyone knows the 82nd and 101st, we don't know his Korean war record either, he may have made a jump in Korea, lots of research potential. At the end of this tho, they are/were both his. I wouldn't question that at this point.

His 36th helmet he kept for sentimental sakes, was issued another helmet at the 11th. He kept his CPTs Helmet and shell for whatever other sentiment. They are now split up and some great history loss.

VR

Peg6

Isn't that basically what I said, but in one sentence?? (I said "tied to it" Meaning tied to the Vet, not should be the one that belongs in the other helmet). My only point was it would be interesting if you could ALSO tie the 2nd name in the M1C Shell to him somehow. May just add more information to his service history. If you can't no biggie, just a reissue. The 11th AB in the 50's was known to have multiple names / ID's inside of their helmets.

Troy

I am sure I am being dense here but I am missing on why the liner from my helmet could not belong to the $3K helmet.

I understand that the $3k helmet liner has initials and marches somewhat in wear. But the Lt. Bar AND the name Sullivan matches also.

So therefore why is it NOT possible that my liner actually belongs to the $3K steel pot?

I honestly do not care either way, I am just trying to understand why.

The problem that the person who purchased the $3K helmet is going to have is that he has nothing to prove the helmet came from Sullivan. I am shocked that he or she did not buy my helmet too.

As for the M1C, it has a name and ASN penciled inside of it that is not Sullivan.

I believe it is Roy Beard 8997979 (not sure the number is correct).