ebay para? inland

Costa

So does the seller have the wrong liner with the shell?

The liner with the shell appears to have a 2nd Lt.insignia.

The liner in his other listing that is marked "Sullivan" has a 1st Lt. insignia which would go with the helmet with the invasion markings.

No I don't think so... I think this is just a cluster**** and there's no way to know the stories, I wouldn't take them (the stories) for anything. Unfortunately the only one who could have said why they are the way they are or where they came from is gone, and that was the estates original owner. Just 2 helmets now.

I really don't think there is anything nefarious going on here. The seller probably received so many emails, offers and "advice" from prospective buyers that they wisely decided to end the original auctions and start over with much better pictures.

I really don't think there is anything nefarious going on here. The seller probably received so many emails, offers and "advice" from prospective buyers that they wisely decided to end the original auctions and start over with much better pictures.

I agree with that.

The seller is selling them just like I saw in the sale. It was a mixed lot of items KW and WWII. With no positive identification I passed...asking prices were way out of range to my liking.

Note: I did not buy the helmets or know who did buy them.

Wow. I guess he wasn’t kidding. Half way there almost.

Any comments on the paint or thoughts on legitimacy now that we have the new photos?

I guess if the helmet is that rare his anticipated selling price is not all that crazy.

I think some buyers have already weighed in as well as the forum... I have love hate relationships sometimes with the forums and live auctions. Because it “damns” a auction one way or the other on opinions. This one has a lot to consider. As well as details not discussed here on the forums. I imagine possible bidders are staying quiet.

Are you saying people do not want to give their opinion that it is legit because they do not want to drive the price up?

I find it interesting that nobody will chime in now that he has relisted the helmet with much better photos.

Also "for a real helmet it sure isnt getting many bids"

Really? It is up over $1,0000 already.

The seller said he was offered $2,500 by three different potential buyers.

I am sure someone told him to let it ride so he could maximize his profit.

I am also sure that serious bidders are waiting until the end.

I would just like to hear opinions from the forum experts as a learning experience.

Are you saying people do not want to give their opinion that it is legit because they do not want to drive the price up?

I find it interesting that nobody will chime in now that he has relisted the helmet with much better photos.

Also "for a real helmet it sure isnt getting many bids"

Really? It is up over $1,0000 already.

The seller said he was offered $2,500 by three different potential buyers.

I am sure someone told him to let it ride so he could maximize his profit.

I am also sure that serious bidders are waiting until the end.

I would just like to hear opinions from the forum experts as a learning experience.

Anton, I am saying that is a possibility. There are also forum members that this is amount is just " pocket change" were for many forum members this is a substantial amount of money. Some of the best finds are from experienced eyes and items slide under the radar. Could be that there are less opinions now because of this. Also could be less opinions because of uncertainty either way. Some facts are that this may not be a "Salerno" helmet, there are photos in France with similar markings of either yellow or vescesant paint. Some legit helmets get passed on because peoples thoughts here are often still opinions. Just because a seller said he was offered 2,500$ also increases the value "" to some people just because they put that comment in there. Some serious bidders wait, others will drive the price to shake out the lower bidders on the front end.

Frankly the story lends itself to nothing, estate sales unless you can talk to the person who ran the estate sale i.e. the family member that knew something then this is a mute point. Neither helmets are matched to a researchable person other then the name not mentioned in the CPT Helmet because there are some ASN numbers, CPT Helmet with LT liner, CPT Shell repainted, with different name in the shell. and this helmet with markings, its been repainted prior to these markings at least once, and a cashed liner and net. I find it interesting both nets have the similar age look washed out and then clean where tucked under helmet. Both nets have clearly been removed and placed back on at some point and the placement is atrocious.

my E-bay tag is mmph198588 for fidelity that this is not my auction.

I just find that sometimes its best to ask about items after auctions are done as an observer. To be fair I am definitely watching, as I have a few Invasion division helmets (29th, 1st and 4th. This could be a bad one that goes high because its been discussed. Any attentions good attention. And that doesn't help the learning curve. Im more curious after the auctions over and if the winner is a forum member to pust up some more details. sadly our lame forum has crap for photo upload so the best photos still may be these ebay onese from the most recent listing.

VR

Peg6

the CPT Helmet also appears to have insignia traces behind the last paint of CPTS Bars. There are so many different ways and combinations you could float here, on what helmet may or may not have been with the other, or even related at all. As mentioned its all a very curious set in whole. both of them.

-Peg6

Seller updated the listing:

Somebody just told me, the yellow bars were for the 36th ID Officers for the invasion of Salermo. This would make since because this soldier participated in this invasion according to his neighbor and best friend. There were numerous other items at this estate sale, but others got the rest. The family kept the medals and guns. I wish I had gotten his first name, but did not. Gave you last name and last place of residency, most can use this info to find out who he was and what role he played in the numerous battles he participated in.

Yea that adds nothing. Plus go look for a Sullivan obituary or SM. Im curious what others find. Cause I ran into 0 luck.

They are cool helmets, they both have a story. Just don't know what they are and the estate seller did a crab job as far as preserving history if there is some. And im not sold on the helmet either way on originality. Its in the gamble category in my book. I think there are some real good things going for it; likewise there are things that I don't like.