Named WWII Early 9th ID Ike and M43 Jacket

Kadet

I picked this group up recently. It came to me un named, but when I was looking at the lining of the Ike I noticed a name penned in to the arm pit area (glad I looked in there). There were only two men with this last name that enlisted prior to Pearl Harbor, and I'm very confident that I found a match. If anyone has the 9th ID rosters I would love to confirm it..

post-110-0-52330400-1552220432_thumb.jpg

I always like it when the vet came from PA! His overseas dates seem to match those of the 9th ID, although he seems to have remained in Italy for the duration

post-110-0-82149700-1552220521_thumb.jpg

Interesting that he did not go to England with the 9th Div in the fall of 1943 from garrison duty on Sicily, but remained and was as we see later assigned to some unit under 5th Army.

currahee1942

I also look at the 47th infantry regiment book, but i dont find his name.

So maybe he was part of the 39th or 60th infantry regiment.

BILL THE PATCH

On the eto ribbon is that a silver star ( 5 campaigns) or one bronze star device. I see He was overseas 2 1/2 years how many campaigns did the 9th have?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

On the eto ribbon is that a silver star ( 5 campaigns) or one bronze star device. I see He was overseas 2 1/2 years how many campaigns did the 9th have?

Billy he did not go to England with the 9th Div in the fall of 1943 from garrison duty on Sicily, but remained and was as we see later assigned to some unit under 5th Army in Italy.

But for the record, the 9th Div was in 7 Campaigns.

North Africa

Sicily

Normandy

Northern France

The Rhineland

Ardennes Alsace

Central Europe.

currahee1942

It seems to be a Silver Star, but I'm not sure.

But it's weird because he did to 2 campaigns. And then later remained in Italy

currahee1942

I look better to the campaign ribbon and it is a brons star. What makes it logic.

It would be nice if you can find the regiment where he was part of it

It seems to be a Silver Star, but I'm not sure.

But it's weird because he did to 2 campaigns. And then later remained in Italy

It was probably a accumulation of the two campaigns he was in with the 9th Division with the ones he was in in later Italy. Depending on when he arrived in Italy, could of been for the first time at Anzio (Despite saying ITALY 1945), then the chronology would be Rome Arno, North Apennines, Po Valley, five altogether.

currahee1942

It was probably a accumulation of the two campaigns he was in with the 9th Division with the ones he was in in later Italy. Depending on when he arrived in Italy, could of been for the first time at Anzio (Despite saying ITALY 1945), then the chronology would be Rome Arno, North Apennines, Po Valley, five altogether.

I find it weird that he wright the end year instead of its start date of the Italy campaign.

Butt probably he wear his m43 during the italy campaign.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...