Sign in to follow this  
tarheel1

Went out and got "Bombed" Today

I found this little guy while out on a call today and couldn't pass it up. Looks like a WWII 250 pound bomb. You don't see too many of these floating around anymore (at least in these parts) The price was right and couldn't leave it behind. Somebody repainted it years ago and it has some minor rust issues (nothing that the guys in the shop can't handle). Question is should we restore it all the way or leave as is?

Thanks for looking,

TH1

post-216099-0-11591800-1552187759_thumb.jpg

post-216099-0-65743400-1552187769_thumb.jpg

Collector of WWI US Navy "Donald Duck" Caps and Hat Tallies - Looking for Tallies from the USS Carp & USS Chauncey

How long is it? I've seen 100lb practice bombs that look similar. A great item in any event.

In the 2nd pic it does look huge but in the 1st - not so much. I think I've seen posts here about 100 lb and 500 lb practice bombs.

Was it hanging up? Surplus stores used them as signs, seen a few in bars, had a practice one hanging in man cave /shop for years til got to crowded. Low pressure sand/ bead blast if really bad, or heavy duty Scotch Pad and elbow grease? Good find.

"The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him" G.K. Chesterton

"A people that values it's privileges above its principles will soon lose both" D.D. Eisenhower

donation2009.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2017.gif

I found this little guy while out on a call today and couldn't pass it up. Looks like a WWII 250 pound bomb. You don't see too many of these floating around anymore (at least in these parts) The price was right and couldn't leave it behind. Somebody repainted it years ago and it has some minor rust issues (nothing that the guys in the shop can't handle). Question is should we restore it all the way or leave as is?

Thanks for looking,

TH1

Hi Tarheel, there used to be piles of these around in good condition twenty years ago, I bought two to carry home to the UK with me. I made cartons for them by joining two cartons together for each of them, I made holes for the two securing hooks to poke through and made rope handles using pup tent guide lines.

I rocked up at Atalanta airport and once my suitcases had passed through I asked if I could see someone from security, the desk clerk enquired if I was carrying guns, I lifted the two bombs on the desk and said ' bombs '. a security officer came to speak with me and we carried them through to the X-ray machines in the security area. Totally fascinating watching the various colors that appeared for the different metals used in construction, sheet metal, cast metal, welding materials etc. All was good and bombs loaded I headed home awaiting the possibility of being re-examined through British customs.

One of the bombs now hangs in the toilet above the Mobilegas sign .

lewis

.post-344-0-26490700-1552209612.jpg

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Mine was in rough shape so I painted it up. I found a period photo of the real deal and copied that.

post-169522-0-79335200-1552217053.jpg

post-169522-0-36948100-1552217333_thumb.jpg

Hi Tarheel, there used to be piles of these around in good condition twenty years ago, I bought two to carry home to the UK with me. I made cartons for them by joining two cartons together for each of them, I made holes for the two securing hooks to poke through and made rope handles using pup tent guide lines.

I rocked up at Atalanta airport and once my suitcases had passed through I asked if I could see someone from security, the desk clerk enquired if I was carrying guns, I lifted the two bombs on the desk and said ' bombs '. a security officer came to speak with me and we carried them through to the X-ray machines in the security area. Totally fascinating watching the various colors that appeared for the different metals used in construction, sheet metal, cast metal, welding materials etc. All was good and bombs loaded I headed home awaiting the possibility of being re-examined through British customs.

lewis

.attachicon.gifpost-344-1235680138.jpg

Hi Ken, you are the first person I know who has literally a bomb in his toilet......well.........maybe I don't know a lot of people ^_^

Rene

Never give in - never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.

Churchill

Keep buggering on.

Mine was in rough shape so I painted it up. I found a period photo of the real deal and copied that.

That's quite a door stop. Well done on the painting.

Rene

Never give in - never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.

Churchill

Keep buggering on.

Thanks everyone for posting! Ken, that shoe box of yours must be massive (saw your reference in another thread)! P-59A...we decided to do the same thing. Here are a couple pictures after some cosmetic work and the primer coat being applied. I hope to have the painting done this week.

Thanks everyone!

TH1

post-216099-0-27070900-1553377415.png

Collector of WWI US Navy "Donald Duck" Caps and Hat Tallies - Looking for Tallies from the USS Carp & USS Chauncey

Pic 2

TH1

post-216099-0-41435000-1553377448.png

Good deal. Look for stencils . The rings were marked out with tape. I rolled the yellow as it was done then. The yellow these days has no lead in it so I had to roll it many times to get it right. The OD green was spray paint from a can.

Thanks everyone for posting! Ken, that shoe box of yours must be massive (saw your reference in another thread) !

Thanks everyone!

TH1

Hi Tarheel, thank you for allowing me to add my anecdote to your post, nice to see the one you have being saved and restored.

this ones a ' live-un ' as Bruce Bairnsfather would often remark in his cartoons of World War One battlefield scenes. Found this one nosing out the sand dunes of Utah beach back in 2010. The photo only captures half the length, I'm not one to go messing in there with a metal shovel ( or hammer and chisel ) just to show forum members the full length.

lewis.

.post-344-0-92000000-1553433084.jpeg

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

Thanks everyone for posting! Ken, that shoe box of yours must be massive (saw your reference in another thread)! P-59A...we decided to do the same thing. Here are a couple pictures after some cosmetic work and the primer coat being applied. I hope to have the painting done this week.

Thanks everyone!

TH1

Hi Tarheel, forgot to say that the one I found on Utah beach was neither from nor for the Shoebox . . . . . I let the Gendarmes have that one, took them three days to move it though, so underwhelmed by unexploded ordnance like this.

lewis.

.post-344-0-91600500-1553434983.jpeg

Thanks everyone!

TH1

Hi TH1, good luck with painting it up. Please, let us see the end result here :) .

Rene

Churchill

Keep buggering on.

Hi Tarheel, forgot to say that the one I found on Utah beach was neither from nor for the Shoebox . . . . . I let the Gendarmes have that one, took them three days to move it though, so underwhelmed by unexploded ordnance like this.

lewis.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_b1f.jpeg

This picture begs for someone to sneak up from behind and loudly shout "BOOOOOMMMM"

Rene

Churchill

Keep buggering on.

We found a live 500 lbs one looking for a crash site in the Mojave. It was in much better shape than yours. Edwards AFB sent a team out and blew it in place. You could feel the concussion a mile away.

This picture begs for someone to sneak up from behind and loudly shout "BOOOOOMMMM"

Rene

Hi Rene, mmmmh yes something that you would do I know, too much Monty Python comedy in your youth . . . . . . .

lewis

We found a live 500 lbs one looking for a crash site in the Mojave. It was in much better shape than yours. Edwards AFB sent a team out and blew it in place. You could feel the concussion a mile away.

Hi P-59A, after daily or weekly finds of munitions for the last seventy years the ' deminers ' ( demolitions crews ) often arrive in normal work coveralls without any of the padded survival suits, pick the items up toss them into a truck and drive them away.

Which is what they did in this case, after leaving it it situ for a further three days after I first reported it . . . . .

lewis.

Rene

Ha! If you do that, think you'd better run away really really fast!

If you ever want to scare the HECK out of a fork lift driver, casually toss a sheet of bubble wrap under the tires as they drive by. Of course I have NEVER done this.

Mikie

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

lewis

.attachicon.gifpost-344-1235680138.jpg

Sure hope that thing is securely attached to the wall...and that the wall is securely attached to something.

Mikie

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Ken, interesting bomb. I think I'll stick to this one!

P-59A You weren't kidding! The Yellow was a beast to paint (and I have been painting for 30 years). Next time I think I will not try to cover the OD and tape it off saving the primer level. And you were right, OD in the spray can worked fine (it looks a little grey in the pics but thats the shop lights).

Sundance...it wasn't so much people walking in the shop asking about the bomb, it was bringing it back and hoping we didn't get stopped...NCSP Trooper "Do you have any weapons in the truck?" "Yes Sir, we have a bomb in the back, why?" Was a conversation we were glad we didn't have to have, Anyway, thanks for looking and we will probably add additional stencils at a later date.

Thanks again everyone!

TH1

post-216099-0-61965300-1553731042.jpg

post-216099-0-33267000-1553731059.jpg

post-216099-0-50165300-1553731068_thumb.jpg

Great paint job! It's "da bomb". Sorry but somebody had to say that.

Mikie