Interesting Post-WW I uniform

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

My buddy picked this up at the SOS. It attracted his eye because of the unusual corporal rank insignia. This uniform is private purchase and we find no trace of a name anywhere.

Taking the uniform at face value, we see a WW I veteran who was wounded two times and spent 1 ½ years in Europe. The collar insignia indicate he is in Headquarters of the 9th Field Artillery Regiment. A quick search finds that the 9th: was formed from elements of the 1st Field Artillery Regiment in Hawaii in 1916. By 1919, the regiment was stationed at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. The regiment was inactivated there on 1 September 1921. As the 9th did not see combat during WW I, our soldier was assigned to the 9th after he returned from Europe.

The corporal chevrons are the 1920 style, of olive drab bars on a navy blue background. The Artillery patches are not the WW I era style of a PFC patch insignia. Note the circle around the crossed cannons. It seems to be a very small window of time this uniform was worn, 1920 style corporal chevrons, in a unit that was inactivated in September of 1921.

Apparently, this was a very short lived rank insignia. Anybody have more information? Anybody seen one like this? Please ignore the clips I used to show the insignia better.

Thanks for looking, Comments welcome.

BKW

post-1549-0-57669200-1552173138.jpg

post-1549-0-63614800-1552173155.jpg

Brian Keith

Very nice Headquarters of the 9th Field Artillery Regiment collar disk.

Thanks for looking,

BKW

post-1549-0-87936400-1552173294.jpg

doing some research on the oval artillery insignia under the rank I came across the CAC specialty qualification badges the one on the uniform is like the gun pointer badge in use from about 1908 until almost 1935. I could not find any reference to it being a standard field artillery awarded badge. so a beginning but not a definitive answer .I have been trying to paste into this post from a word document with out any luck. But The CAC used these types of insignia not sure as I said how it relates to this uniform unless it was a short lived reg. from post WWI

post-2200-0-93948100-1552405466.png