Kevlar helmet collectors

I found this US Kevlar helmet packed away from 2004 or so. AnIraq war vet friend (deceased- suicide-PTSD) gave it to me. I would never think of selling it off, but I would like to know what one of these Kevlar helmets are worth. Is there any collectibility in it? Just a plain Jane, common Kevlar helmet? The inside is marked M4, inked with letter " G", and " DE", black marker with name " Riley", and inked with NSN number, size medium, Gibraltar ? Industries. post-180924-0-65538700-1552170709_thumb.jpeg

They are somewhat collectible. Price seem to be around $40-$130 depending on size. XLs seem to fetch more. The fact that it was given to you by your friend makes this priceless.

milsurp_scout_14

Local surplus stores have them for between $50-$60. I've seen all sorts of crazy high prices, and I've bought a fair many of them for $15-$20. The Desert Storm era stuff is becoming collectible, so these are likely going to be as well.

Sorry for the loss of your friend - Semper Fidelis.

I find I get no more than about $40 for them at a show with the cover. I agree that Cold War / Desert Storm era items are starting to become collectible.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

First off I'm sorry about you friend.

PASGTs are not collected by many people right now so it would likely sell for $40-50. I personally would pay more if it came straight from the vet and he said he wore it in Iraq, but I probably wouldn't have to.

"Kevlar" helmets can be extremely collectible and expensive. It just depends on what it is, like with anything else.

A basic PASGT helmet normally gets $40-$60. ACH helmets can get $80-$120, sometimes less.

Complete, field-used PASGT/ACH/LWH/MICH helmets from desirable units and with good provenance can go for $200+. However, they basically need to be named and complete and EXACTLY as used overseas, right down to still having all the dirt, grime, and sweat from use.

There are other rare helmets that have brought $1,000+ in the past, like the hard-to-find IBH from the 1990s and used throughout the earlier portions of OEF/OIF by various Special Ops units.

Like I said, just depends on what it is.

Thank you for the information and condolences. For what ever reason the suicide rate was so high,( I know what contributed to his death), it is finally subsiding, probably because the deployments have come to a halt. The absolute best of all my friends, his memory will not fade.post-180924-0-37004000-1552175046_thumb.jpeg

His decorations, he was mobilized from a Texas light infantry brigade, which explains all the ribbons I can not identify.post-180924-0-96629800-1552175466_thumb.jpeg

A question, does anyone know where I can pick up a new headband for this helmet? I ( we did- he owned a Ferret) do a lot of events, airshows, American Legion events, etc....I always let my son and other kids wear it when I take them for a ride in my Shorland.post-180924-0-45866400-1552176759_thumb.jpeg

Given that these plain jane Kevlar helmets can be found for $40-50, I wouldn't change out the sweat band but just get another helmet with a decent sweatband. Keep your friend's helmet as original and untouched. If you are still going to look for a sweat band, they can generally be found in Army-Navy surplus stores with a little digging. Some of the stores near me have had them in the past.

As others have stated $30-$40 for a helmet like that. When you get a complete Kpot worn down range, you're looking ~$60 for a 'standard' helmet. The more desirable ones (patched) are more so than that, with the most rare ones going for, as Kevin said, $200+.

When it comes to the ACH, those prices are all over the place. Some surplus shops and online you can buy a complete one for $60, the average though would be $100-$120. Painted lids start on average around $120 if they're legit. Patched helmets if complete should run $150. Some of the super early CGF helmets can go nuts and be $3-$400. Some places don't differentiate between an ACH and PASGT and will sell them for the same price. Alot of them also don't care if its painted, complete, or patched and will have the same price on those. You'll also find plenty of helmets that are just a shell, pads and chinstrap for $200+. The market can be really wild.

There is little value as far as collectibility. Gibraltar is a (relatively) rare manufacturer, if I remember correctly, so there is a bit in its favor. Otherwise, assume it isn't worth much but has a great deal of value for the sentiment. And if he left children behind, keep them in mind in the years to come.