Captured NVA Helmet with Wound Tag

AnDuc49

Hello all,

This set has been on my wish list for a couple of months now, so I was real happy to be able to pick it up earlier this week.

The helmet is a 3rd pattern example produced by the PRC for the North Vietnamese during the war. While the exterior is not as heavily faded as some others, it is quite dirty and the rim is dirty due to constant handling. Also note the opaque material around the center band and rim. This was the glue used to attach the fabric to the helmet itself. It would've oozed out during manufacturing.

In the interior, the name "Duong Truong Yem" can be seen as well as his military postal code "HT 870.718.TM10". There's another area which was marked (presumably an old postal code or different wearer), but at some point, someone has scratched it out.

One of the best parts personally for me is the wound tag which has been attached to the sweatband. Based off of this, we know that Yem suffered gun shot wounds to his right hand and foot around 1500h on the 18th of June (probably '68). After they were cleaned and dressed, he was evacuated to C Co., 15th Med. Batt. Based off of the info available here, I assume that the soldier was operating in the Central Highlands since the 15th Med Bn. served at An Khe and Qui Nhon. I figure the helmet was brought back by Capt. MC Davis or someone who worked alongside him, but I haven't been able to find anything so far.

Either way, it's a fantastic helmet with a lot of history and I hope you like it as much as I do

post-154926-0-63566900-1552142307_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Nice once, I would certainly display it on it's side like in the last image, the interesting stuff is all on the inside!

Thank you all for the kind comments, I do appreciate it! These helmets are just like any other, once you get one, you can never have enough!

Nice once, I would certainly display it on it's side like in the last image, the interesting stuff is all on the inside!

That's what I was thinking of doing. I'm thinking of finding some kind of equipment or other personal item that can be used to prop it up

Very fine example. Wonder if Yem is still around...

I'm doing some research now with Vietnamese historians and the Vietnamese Military Archives. Unfortunately, these unit codes were subjected to change and their records (very few of it digitized) is spotty at best.

I was lucky enough to ID a NVA pith helmet before, but that one had much more information. Hopefully I'll have similar luck with this one. If so, I'll be returning it to the original owner or their family if they're still alive