WW I Shoulder Patch Help

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

I came across this photo of a WW I soldier from the 332nd Infantry Regiment wearing an unidentified shoulder patch.

The 332nd Infantry Regiment was a part of the 83rd Division, a National Guard outfit from Ohio. This shoulder patch is not the insignia of the 83rd Division.

The 332nd Infantry Regiment did serve in on the Italian Front during WW I. The shoulder patch worn by the 332nd was that of the Lion of St. Mark. This shoulder patch is not the Lion of St. Mark insignia.

The 332nd Infantry Regiment was also briefly attached the 3rd Army, which wore the Army of Occupation shoulder patch. This shoulder patch is not the insignia of the 3rd Army.

My question is, did the 332nd Infantry Regiment ever wear a shoulder patch other than the three that are mentioned above?

post-5143-0-02554500-1552067170_thumb.jpg

Not to my knowledge on the wearing of any other patches than the three mentioned, could this one be a home made 332nd Lion of St. Mark by chance, I don't recall seeing one with this contrasting border though?

world war I nerd

One long-time, and very experienced, WW I AEF insignia collector asserted that at some point members of the 332nd Infantry Regiment wore an unofficial shoulder patch bearing a representation of Italy, in white, on a darker background. He also provided me with a very old photo that came from another long-time AEF insignia collector, of the so called 'White Italy' patch.

Could the insignia worn in the above photo be a 'White Italy' patch?

Here is a comparison of the two images I have:

Please post any facts or opinions regarding this mystery insignia.

Thanks for looking ... World War I Nerd

post-5143-0-82749500-1552067627_thumb.jpg

post-5143-0-64383600-1552067651_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Here are the three shoulder patches commonly associated with the 332nd Infantry Regiment that the soldier in the photograph is not wearing ... 83rd Division - Lion of St. Mark - 3rd Army.

post-5143-0-91537100-1552068928.jpg

post-5143-0-70147900-1552068944.jpg

post-5143-0-59247800-1552068960.jpg

world war I nerd

AEF1917, thanks for pointing out the obvious ... Yeah, no fooling - It's a 322nd collar disc, not a 332nd collar disc. Boy do I feel stupid now.

Oh well, in a feeble attempt to salvage this post, what about the boot of Italy patch? Has anybody ever seen or heard of that before?

Well...it is a 322nd infantry soldier, as opposed to the 332nd...but the question is still valid.

The patch doesn't look like a wildcat, so I would call it an "unknown"....and the thread is still entirely relevant.

It is a "Wildcat" 81st Division SSI. The angle is fooling you. I can clearly see the head with arched back behind it and the two front legs.

I'd never heard of the Italy patch before today. It would be great to find more info on it.

I have a 332nd painted helmet and etched mess kit with the lion of St. Mark where the book is replaced with an Austrian helmet. It's an interesting variation that appears in one of the unit histories (but which one escapes me at the moment).

I'd never heard of the Italy patch before today. It would be great to find more info on it.

Pesonally, I question the legitimacy of the Italy patch idea.

Living in Ohio...actively collecting and researching WWI for over thirty years at this point...I've never seen or heard of such a thing. The example doesn't pass the initial eye test for me.

• 1 month later...
littlewilly

Have not seen the "white Italy" patch before, nor have I heard a mention of it. Will note it for future reference. Anything is possible with unofficial stuff. MHJ