Type B-15 Jacket. Military or Civilian

Montana40

Obtained this B-15 Jacket with a grouping and assume it to be of early issue but cannot identify the tag as either military or civilian. Is anyone familiar with the MFG tag? thanks

post-4195-0-60856100-1552058847.jpg

I saw two similar B-15s at the Show of Shows that had labels very close to an issue one. The key is if at the bottom of the label is has "original type". That makes it a civilian made jacket and not military issue. I informed both sellers that their jackets were not military issue and neither one had a clue what they were selling.

Great, thanks for the information, is appreciated as usual. just want to make sure I do not misrepresent it.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't seen an issued B-15 with a quilted lining or that alpaca-looking collar either. Not to say there was never an oddball but it had better have a good story behind it. That label isn't military of any period and has some bizarre spec and stock numbers. It's as if at the time they weren't really even trying to fool anyone - likely the case.

Stony, I'll bet both sellers SoS turned away smiling and then, disinterested, kept their placards the same?

Dave

Did they make civilian versions of the B-15 with the USAAF emblem on the shoulder?....I have one w/o a tag that has the emblem outlined in white, that I assume is a civilian version.....Bodes

Also, the zippers on issued B15s run somewhat diagonally, ending slightly to the wearers right. I think this design was probably intended to keep the zipper from interfering with throats mics and oxygen masks. The civilian copies typically have traditional vertical zippers like a normal jacket.

Also, the zippers on issued B15s run somewhat diagonally, ending slightly to the wearers right. I think this design was probably intended to keep the zipper from interfering with throats mics and oxygen masks. The civilian copies typically have traditional vertical zippers like a normal jacket.

I looked at mine and noticed it has slash pockets with snaps....This and the air force emblem outline is in blue....Civilian or military?....It came out of an estate of a WW2 WAC officer.....Bodes