WW2 1911 Magazine prices

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

I'm looking to buy some original magazines for my 1911a1 but do not know anything about the makers in WW2 and post war or their rarity and value.

WWII 1911A1 magazine makers - with their corresponding (top) toe stamp - were:

M. S. Little Manufacturing Company = L

Risdon Tool & Machine Company = R

Scovill Manufacturing Company = S

General Shaver (razor division of contract 1911A1 maker Remington Rand) = G

All of the above makers, except General Shaver, also subcontracted magazines to Colt. In those examples, in addition to the standard top-of-toe stamp was a bottom-of-toe “C-[letter]” stamp. Example: A Risdon sub-contract magazine for Colt would have an R on top of the protruding portion of the baseplate, and a C-R on the underside of it.

There are other topics on this, well, topic, if you search the forum. I will say, any of these magazines are technically correct for any USGI 1911A1 maker. But, if you reply with who made your pistol, I can tell you the as-shipped magazine maker as well as range of values.

Generally the Colt sub-contract and General Shaver magazines bring more money, compared to the others.

SergeantMajorGray

WWII 1911A1 magazine makers - with their corresponding (top) toe stamp - were:

M. S. Little Manufacturing Company = L

Risdon Tool & Machine Company = R

Scovill Manufacturing Company = S

General Shaver (razor division of contract 1911A1 maker Remington Rand) = G

All of the above makers, except General Shaver, also subcontracted magazines to Colt. In those examples, in addition to the standard top-of-toe stamp was a bottom-of-toe C-[letter] stamp. Example: A Risdon sub-contract magazine for Colt would have an R on top of the protruding portion of the baseplate, and a C-R on the underside of it.

There are other topics on this, well, topic, if you search the forum. I will say, any of these magazines are technically correct for any USGI 1911A1 maker. But, if you reply with who made your pistol, I can tell you the as-shipped magazine maker as well as range of values.

Generally the Colt sub-contract and General Shaver magazines bring more money, compared to the others.

Thanks it is a Ithaca.

Don't forget that Colt also made magazines for their M1911A1s. They were unmarked and had the blued finish. Early Colt magazines still had the two-toned look.

As I understand it, the General Shaver magazines were WW2 replacements, and as a rule did not ship with the pistol.

I have found the M1911A1 magazines at flea markets and shows, with asking prices any where from $7 to $40.

One thing to check when buying the WW2 and earlier magazines is to make sure the lips are not cracked. They tend to form small cracks in the backside of the magazine as shown here.

post-11546-0-06081000-1552088937.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

Don't forget that Colt also made magazines for their M1911A1s. They were unmarked and had the blued finish. Early Colt magazines still had the two-toned look.

As I understand it, the General Shaver magazines were WW2 replacements, and as a rule did not ship with the pistol.

I have found the M1911A1 magazines at flea markets and shows, with asking prices any where from $7 to $40.

One thing to check when buying the WW2 and earlier magazines is to make sure the lips are not cracked. They tend to form small cracks in the backside of the magazine as shown here.

Thanks for that info I can hardly see them does that effect function? I'm not going to be going to a show anytime soon so I'm going to see what can be had on the forum and ebay.

Thanks for that info I can hardly see them does that effect function? I'm not going to be going to a show anytime soon so I'm going to see what can be had on the forum and ebay.

That particular magazine does not have the stress cracks, I just want to show where to look. If you are looking for a couple, PM me and I'll take a look in my box of magazines to see what I have.