December 7th 1941 KIA USS Arizona Purple Heart

kcmo

All,

While I was unable to attend the SOS this year, I was fortunate enough to acquire this grouping from an online auction and now have the privilege to honor a young sailor who was lost and is still entombed onboard the USS Arizona along with 1,101 of his shipmates.

From what online research I was able to conduct, S2C Huntington was born in Idaho around 1923. He appears to have been raised mostly in San Bernardino, California before enlisting in the Navy in San Diego, California on January 27, 1941. He arrived onboard the USS Arizona on April 27, 1941. More research of course is required.

After the attack and Pearl Harbor and the approval of the Navy to posthumously award purple hearts, this would have been sent to his next of kin: Frank Huntington. His address is listed as 9th and Sterling, Rt. 2, San Bernardino, California. The other medals including the American Defense Service Medal w/Fleet Clasp, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal and WWII Victory Medal. The ration books are named to a different family so I do not believe this is an original part of the group nor was currency pictured.

RIP S2C Huntington and the crew of the USS Arizona from that faithful day in 1941.

post-114166-0-91508700-1551993931_thumb.jpg

post-114166-0-90918400-1551993942_thumb.jpg

post-114166-0-41320500-1551993962_thumb.jpg

Great group. The engraving fantastic As the son of a Pearl Harbor survivor these groups are so meaningful. Rip S2c Huntington

Beautiful medal. R.I.P. Seaman Huntington and all your comrades sill aboard with you. Bobgee

gijoeonthego

Congrats on this grouping. I have a technical question for everybody. The US Navy hat band. Shouldn't it say USS ARIZONA instead of US Navy. I thought they removed the ship names later in WWII. No disrespect here. Just curious.

Congrats on your acquisition! The early engraving cannot be beat and thanks for sharing. It has been tucked away and hasn't seen the light of day for many years, which makes it even better.

crotalus358

Congrats on an important and historical addition! That engraving is beautiful.

RIP S2C Huntington.

Rakkasan187

A great tribute to the youth who were taken too soon on that December Morning

Glad that you will be the caretaker of this medal and that Seaman Huntington's memory will live on..

Leigh

What a wonderful new piece for your collection....I did not make the SOS either but certainly did not have the same luck as you in acquiring such a historical piece! Hard to believe there are so few left from that generation.

Gary B

Very nice ! On another note the fleet class was often issued not attached to the ribbon.

Kurt

Very nice ! On another note the fleet class was often issued not attached to the ribbon.

Kurt

Kurt. Was that with all clasps pertaining to the American Defense Medal or, just the Fleet clasp?

I'm sure it is for all bars, but I've mainly seen it on untouched groups I've gotten from families etc. The bar was loose in the box with the medal when it was issued in some cases.

Kurt