702nd Tank Destroyer Battalion DUI/Grouping

MasonK

I picked this small group up off one of those buy and sell apps.

Purple Heart initially caught my eye, but it was unnamed. I looked up the DUI, and found it attributed to the 702nd Tank Destroyer Battalion.

The seller stated he found the items in an old home he lived in when he was younger. Unfortunately, he doesn't recall the address (or more so didn't seem to want to give it to me).

Seller was from Bossier City, LA, and according to his FB page, lived in Haughton, LA and Elm Grove, LA. I tried some searches with those cities, and Tank Destroyer, 702nd, Purple Heart, etc., but no exact matches. Will continue the search in hopes of pinning down an ID.

In any event, some photos of the grouping, starting with the DUI. I added the TD patch for the photo. Everything else is original to the group.

DUI is sterling, and marked A.W. Donder Inc. Wash. D.C., which is correct for a period example.

post-29885-0-69643200-1551909759_thumb.jpg

Still some hope for tracking him down if you can xref the names on the casualty lists with the enlistment records for Shreveport.

The casualty lists probably aren't complete but I bet you only find one or two guys from that part of LA. Since the lists have published ASN its just a lot of data entry...Since you have an enlisted collar disc too you can automatically eliminate officers. Louisiana enlistments would have service numbers starting with either 18 or 38, as well.

https://www.tankdestroyer.net/units/battalions700s/236-702nd-tank-destroyer-battalion

Still some hope for tracking him down if you can xref the names on the casualty lists with the enlistment records for Shreveport.

The casualty lists probably aren't complete but I bet you only find one or two guys from that part of LA. Since the lists have published ASN its just a lot of data entry...Since you have an enlisted collar disc too you can automatically eliminate officers. Louisiana enlistments would have service numbers starting with either 18 or 38, as well.

https://www.tankdestroyer.net/units/battalions700s/236-702nd-tank-destroyer-battalion

Thanks, Austin! I appreciate you sharing the link. I've been on that site several times cross referencing names I found in obits/newspaper articles from the areas I mentioned, but no matches, at least for the 702nd. Agreed, next step is a person by person approach. Would be amazing if I could confirm a match!

• 2 years later...

Sorry I can't help match this beautiful group to the original owner but you might find this interesting.  The 702nd was attached to the 2nd Armored Division during WWII.  The unit was activated on 15 December 1941 and disactivated on October 1945.  So many unites that were formed during the war years have no "Authorized" crest (DUI) for the following reason:

"On December 29, 1942 it was announced that the manufacture of distinctive insignia was to be discontinued and that future requests would only be considered under very special circumstances. On January 2, 1943 War Department Circular Number Six absolutely suspended the manufacture of existing DIs and the approval of new DIs designs for the duration of the war. It did not discontinue wearing of those DIs that had been produced. Many units tried to circumvent the rules and had ones manufactured in plastic or in silver. Prohibitions against wearing DIs in combat zones also existed. Many DIs are marked with the name of the manufacturer; for example, A. H. Dondero of Washington, D.C. was a prominent early maker.".

Post war, after the 702nd TD Bn. was disactivated, the 702nd Armored Infantry Bn took the basic design from this crest, kept the same motto, but changed the shield slightly.  I see many of these crests on the market labeled as 702 TD BN-buyer beware!

So you can see the crest is sterling and also manufactured by Donero.  This is really a great grouping quite original.  

On 8/6/2021 at 3:26 PM, Geezer said:

Sorry I can't help match this beautiful group to the original owner but you might find this interesting.  The 702nd was attached to the 2nd Armored Division during WWII.  The unit was activated on 15 December 1941 and disactivated on October 1945.  So many unites that were formed during the war years have no "Authorized" crest (DUI) for the following reason:

"On December 29, 1942 it was announced that the manufacture of distinctive insignia was to be discontinued and that future requests would only be considered under very special circumstances. On January 2, 1943 War Department Circular Number Six absolutely suspended the manufacture of existing DIs and the approval of new DIs designs for the duration of the war. It did not discontinue wearing of those DIs that had been produced. Many units tried to circumvent the rules and had ones manufactured in plastic or in silver. Prohibitions against wearing DIs in combat zones also existed. Many DIs are marked with the name of the manufacturer; for example, A. H. Dondero of Washington, D.C. was a prominent early maker.".

Post war, after the 702nd TD Bn. was disactivated, the 702nd Armored Infantry Bn took the basic design from this crest, kept the same motto, but changed the shield slightly.  I see many of these crests on the market labeled as 702 TD BN-buyer beware!

So you can see the crest is sterling and also manufactured by Donero.  This is really a great grouping quite original.  

Thanks, Geezer! Very interesting read on DUI's. It's definitely an area I don't pay much attention to. Too many variations, and units, I'd go crazy trying to collect!

I noticed the newer design for the 702nd Armored Infantry Bn. I also noticed many being passed as TD Bn, as you mention. Hopefully just sellers that are misinformed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 9:52 AM, MasonK said:

Thanks, Geezer! Very interesting read on DUI's. It's definitely an area I don't pay much attention to. Too many variations, and units, I'd go crazy trying to collect!

I noticed the newer design for the 702nd Armored Infantry Bn. I also noticed many being passed as TD Bn, as you mention. Hopefully just sellers that are misinformed.

I'm sure you don't want to break the grouping up, if you still have it, but I'm still trying to locate one if you are interested.  I'm putting together a display of all the support units that were attached to the 2nd Armored during WWII  (my brother's unit throughout the war) .  I'm down to two crests (702nd TD Bn. and an original 124th Ordnance Bn.) Thanks

• 1 year later...
BelgianUScollector44

Hello,

Very cool grouping you have here. Like Geezer is sayin in of the topic's you have to be aware of the different crests there are up for sale! Mostly of the 702nd what are selling today are not original WW2. This one defenitly is!! 
I collect 702nd TD and other items about the 2nd Armored division aswell. 
The 702nd Liberated my home town and i have contact with some family members. 
If you want to sell this grouping, I'm very intrested! 

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Dennis