14k Ladies Wrist Watch SS Nathaniel Alexander Liberty Ship 1942

mds308

I was able to obtain limited information on this Liberty ship. The engraving reads: S.L.R. SS NATHANIEL ALEXANDER 10-4-42

The date 10-4-42 was the launching. I was wondering who S.L.R. was and why she received this watch. Perhaps the CO's wife? Is there a way I can get a plank-owner's roster or the CO's name? If not, enjoy the pics. Thanks.

post-165739-0-89530300-1551840893.jpg

post-165739-0-68839900-1551840906.jpg

RustyCanteen

If it is a woman's watch, I would suspect it was a gift to someone in the ceremony, such as the sponsor or something of that nature. Interesting piece, good luck on the research.

Hi Dave. Thanks for the tip on the Mariners Museum. FYI, the Mariners Museum is in Newport News and not Portsmouth. I live about 10 miles away.

Hi Dave. Thanks for the tip on the Mariners Museum. FYI, the Mariners Museum is in Newport News and not Portsmouth. I live about 10 miles away.

So THAT'S why it was giving me strange results when I googled it! LOL

(I live about 30 miles from P-mouth and 40 from NN...I try to avoid both to the best of my ability, so they're kind of interchangeable in my mind...) ;):D

I try to avoid both to the best of my ability, so they're kind of interchangeable in my mind

They kind of look the same too.

We are practically neighbors. What time is Supper?

Great update. My friend who works at the Newport News Shipyard has a book on Liberty Ships built at North Carolina Shipbuilding in Wilimington 1941-1946. The sponsor of the SS Nathaniel Alexander was Shirley Lee Robertson (SLR). Unfortunately, I'm not having any luck on finding out who she was or how she was connected to the SS Nathaniel Alexander. Mr. Alexander was the governor of North Carolina from 1805-1807. I would assume she was related to him in some way. Perhaps a great-great granddaughter. Any new leads would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks to aznation and ram957.

A 7 year old sponsor? What an honor. I wonder if daddy pulled some strings. I can't believe I was able to get this much information.

Jumpin Jack

Where else other than the Forum can one start out with minimal information, and end up with the entire picture?!

Where else other than the Forum can one start out with minimal information, and end up with the entire picture?!

Finis J. Whoopee. :dry:

I hate to say this but I think the Shirley Lee Robertson whose information I posted may be incorrect. After ram957's post of the article concerning her being a sponsor of the launching, I noticed that the information I posted didn't match the article. Number one, in the article, it shows Miss Shirley Lee Robinson which seems to be an error in spelling her last name as it is Robertson. Secondly, it says, "daughter of W. J. Robertson, of Wilmington, N.C., and formerly of this city". The Shirley Lee Robertson's information I posted was the daughter of Robert Lee Robertson according to her obituary. That said, how could the information I posted be correct. Also, because of the fact that it said "and formerly of this city" makes me tend to believe that she was old enough to be on her own living away from her father, not a 7 year old. I know W. J. Robertson was the carpenter shop foreman for the North Carolina Shipbuilding Company because I've seen at least 4 or 5 other mentions of his name in articles. I've since tried to look up a W. J. Robertson living in Wilmington or in North Carolina with a Shirley or Shirley Lee Robertson on FamilySearch.org but have not been able to come up with any matches. Personally, I don't think the Shirley Lee "Robertson" Manley whose grave and obituary information I posted is the correct one that was the sponsor of the launching. Maybe someone else with an Ancestry.com account can find the correct one. At least you have more information than you did regarding whose watch that was and that is great. I look forward to seeing if someone can find something on Ancestry with the right information. Thanks...Matt

aznation,

The small article kept changing the spelling. Her dad is Robertson but the daughter is Robinson? Sounds like a typo. Twice. The other point I brought up earlier is how does a 7 year old become the sponsor of a Liberty Ship? The article goes on to mention they threw her a dinner party after the launching. For a 7 year old? Maybe an ice cream party. Like you said, I have more information than when I started. I appreciate all the help you gave. You have gone well above and beyond what I would have hoped for. Maybe there will be another info provider. Thank you,

Michael

PS what is the "Good mother" reference mean? After all, this is the 1940's and she's a Miss. Perhaps the mother of the ship.