WWII Navy officer tunic ID

milbuf

I have had this WWII US Navy lt.(jg) tunic for a number of years and just now got around to trying to research the ID His name in the pocket is H. M. Kimbrough. . His ribbon bar includes American Campaign, Asiatic-Pacific ( with 3 bronze and 1 silver campaign stars for 8 campaigns and a Philippine liberation with two stars. Since this is the aviator's green tunic it does show some evidence of a set of pin back wings. I have searched ancestry and fold 3 and came up with a Houston Kimbrough Lt. Jg but he was on CVE 59 which did not serve in the pacific. (ribbons are original to uniform) so he is most likely not the same H, M. Kimbrough as the one for the tunic.

post-2200-0-76119500-1551818448_thumb.jpg

post-2200-0-78916800-1551818463_thumb.jpg

RustyCanteen

I looked in the 1944 USNR register, and did not see anyone matching those exact initials. So either he entered active service after mid 1944 (or later) or he was regular USN and not USNR.

Jumpin Jack

With the sleeve lace and shoulder straps, that would be a pre WW 2 blouse..

Totally disagree. This is a Navy aviators green service tunic, and correct for WWII. Jack

Thanks for all your input on this. There are Kimbrough's in the Muncie Indiana area whre this uniform came from but none seem to match there are some in the Washington state area as well but no match or possible connection sooooo the search continues

Thanks 29 Navy ran this guy earlier very close but doesn't fit two Kimbrough's with same name and rank but USN who Knew.... still on the search Thanks for your efforts

You wonder, if these two Kimbroughs are the only ones that show up in the Officer registers, you would think that it would have to belong to one of them. The label doesn't help because the House of Worsted Tex was available to both eras. My (just a pull it out of the air) guess is that it was Houston's uniform (the other was a dentist), since he was somehow involved in aviation, which might rate him the use of aviations greens. He got out in early (Jan - Feb) 1946, sold off his uniform and somebody else bought it, they didn't change the name on the tag and put their own ribbons on. Just a thought.

Yeah, LTJG Houston Kimbrough was in the reserves in the early '50s, it's possible he was with an aviation unit at some point and picked up a set of greens.